7852 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Multiple problems with ProLiant SE316M1R2 fans

MattDavid
Occasional Contributor

Multiple problems with ProLiant SE316M1R2 fans

Hello,

I've had an HP ProLiant SE316M1R2 server for two years now. I'm not exactly an expert in server maintenance though.

First, two hard drives failed suddenly after connecting them in the HDD bays. I never knew why this happens, are the hard drives (used, not new)  really sensitive or is there a problem with the socket? I don't know, but this is not the main problem.

My main problem is that my fans lately have been getting constantly louder then returning to normal again for like 5 seconds intervals. Then after some usage (like 30 mins to an hour), all the fans will get to maximum speed and the server suddenly becomes a helicopter. If I try to continue my work and ignore them, the server will of course shut down automatically.

So, I dusted the whole server, especially the SAS backplane, because it never gets any air and it was really dusty, so I kinda felt it might be the main culprit. Nothing changed unfortunately, and one HDD failed after booting up several times. Then, I find out that Fan #2 is now not working.  I tried to remember if this happened pre-issue or after I cleaned the backplane, but I'm not really sure. I think this probably happened after cleaning and re-installing the backplane.

So, I don't know what the problem is, and I don't have enough expertise with maintaining this model. Can someone please help? Can it be the temperature sensor? And why did fan #2 stop working suddenly? I made sure all the cables are plugged.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Multiple problems with ProLiant SE316M1R2 fans

Hello,

Please share the server model now

Exm: DL160 gen8 or any other.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MattDavid
Occasional Contributor

It's based on ProLiant DL160 G6 if that helps.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you update the server with the latest bios and all other firmwares.

If the server already updated with the latest bios, share the bios and firmware version information's.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo