New Discussion юеВ

NEW Proliant DL360 G10 very noisy

SOLVED
Go to solution
kezzaman
Occasional Visitor

NEW Proliant DL360 G10 very noisy

Hello everyone,

Last week I received my new HP DL360G10 (1U) server. When It's past the boot screen the fans are going mad and speed a lot. Sometimes when I start the server it's become a lot more quiet, but than after a while or after a reboot it's going mad again. Most of the time the fan's are about 40-45% speed and sometimes it goes up to 75%. I have tried several things: Update to the last ILO version. Change the Thermal and power options. But all withouth success.

system rom = U32 2.36
ILO firmware = 2.31
I have 2 Smart array controllers
(E208e-p SR Gen10 and P408i-a SR gen 10).
CPU= 1x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4208 CPU @ 2.10GHz 
And I have 5 fans installed.

Can someone help me out on this one please ?

thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: NEW Proliant DL360 G10 very noisy

Hello,

The server is running older bios and ILO firmware version, needs to update with the latest.(however no fix related to reported issue)

But Innovation Engine Firmware needs to update with the latest because has the reported issue.

1. Needs to update Innovation Engine Firmware 0.2.2.0.

Advisory: HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers - In Extremely Rare Instances, Server Fans May Continue to Rotate at High Speed After Server Reboots

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00099826en_us

DESCRIPTION

On HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers, on extremely rare occasions, the processor or memory temperature reporting may not be collected properly by the platform and the system fans may exceed 50 percent and maintain at that level (or higher) even during idle state or light load. This issue has been seen occasionally after a server reboot and is typically corrected with a subsequent server reboot.

RESOLUTION

To prevent this issue from occurring, download and install version 0.2.2.0 (or later) of the HPE Gen10 Innovation Engine Firmware .

If this issue has already occurred, reboot the server to return fans to normal speed.

ROM Flash Firmware Package - HPE Gen10 Innovation Engine Firmware for HPE Gen10 Servers (0.2.2.0(1 Apr 2020)) 

https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_e6a71d41719846a9b87799e1cf&swEnvOid=4196#tab-history

Problems Fixed:

Addressed an extremely rare issue where Processor or Memory temperature reporting may not be collected properly by the platform and the system fans may be running faster than expected. This issue has been seen occasionally after a server reboot and is typically corrected with a subsequent server reboot.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

kezzamania
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I have updated all components. Fans rate is now constantly between 35 and 40%.

Server reboot does't affect this.

With kindly regards,

Kees

kezzaman
Occasional Visitor

I have reset all (storage provisioning/ILO/BIOS) and even in POST mode (withouth loading OS, because there is no OS) the fans are spinning beteween 35 and 40%.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest updating the latest system bios, which is released in February 2021. (2.42_01-23-2021(2 Feb 2021).

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

LCH2324

Hi kezz,

Have you managed to fix this problem ? We are facing the same issue with 2 DL260gen10 servers and we're out of ideas.

Regards,

kezzamania
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Hello,

It's been a while but I fixed it yes.

I have installed the latest SUM package and installed it from the OS.
Since then the fans are operating smoothly.

I hope you can fix this.

With kind regards,

Kezzaman

Windlasher

I found an easier way. Turn off iLO. Most of us buying these for media servers or home office setups will never need it anyway.

gernoox
Occasional Advisor

DL380 Gen10 24SFF
iLO 5 2.97
Innovation Engine (IE) Firmware 0.2.3.0
System ROM U30 v2.90 
Because of GPU and second Raid controller added in Pcie slots, fans noise is too loud for my home lab.
Solution is to cheat with ILO and force 50% fans adjustment (50% is just an example and don't try this at home or work!) :

curl --request PATCH --url 'https://ILO-IP/redfish/v1/Chassis/1/Thermal/' --user 'USER:PASSWORD' --header 'content-type: application/json' --insecure --data '{"Oem": {"Hpe": {"FanPercentAdjust": 50}}}'

toppies82

@Windlasher Hi Windlasher

Im also facing the same issue with HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10 Plus Server, the fans speeds are within normal range but they make excessive noise. Would disabling the ILO help in this case.

Thanks