cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIC Cards

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

NIC Cards

I am trying to set up a second NIC card as a redundant NIC. How do I do this. Right now in Windows 2000 Server I have the second nic card setup as a second connect. But I do not want to assign the NIC a second IP I just want it as a redundant connection. Can you please help me. For the second NIC I am using your part # 127453-B21.

Robert Jorgensen
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: NIC Cards

Hello Robert.
In order to team two NICs, they must have the same chipset. For exemple, the have to be two netflex Nic or two NCs. Remember that you have to assign an IP address to each nIC and there will be a virtual IP address for the team.
In other words, you cannot configure two NICs with oneIP address only.
In Widows 2000, the best way to do it is run the Support Pack from SmartStart, and check the NIC teaming option. You can also get the SupportPack from the Compaq website: www.compaq.com/support.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: NIC Cards

As a follow-up to this question, you can use the typical connection in Windows2000, which is DHCP. But disconnect your server from the network to avoid any IP address being assigned to your NICs. Once you have obtained the Compaq Support Paq, the latest is 5.08A, you can install NIC teaming, which requires a reboot. Once you have rebooted, you can open the network properties dialog box, find the connection with the name "Compaq Network Teaming Virtual Miniport". Open that connection and assign your IP address. You don't have to assign individual IP addresses to each NIC prior to installing network teaming.