New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC Issues: Status: "Link Failure"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Fleming
Occasional Advisor

NIC Issues: Status: "Link Failure"

Hi,

Have just purchased 3 x DL380 G5 servers and am trying to configure them however on the HP System Management Homepage I have error messages for both NICs with the message "Link Failure", I have similar messages for the Management Processor - Embedded NEC98431.

I have looked everywhere to solve this problem, I have just begun installing the servers and cannot even get the NICs to work!

Can anyone please help.

Matt
13 REPLIES 13
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

Do you have the same exact problem on all your DL380's servers?
Matthew Fleming
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mynor,

Thank-you for your response.

I am still awaiting the Microsoft Server 2003 R2 CD and license from our supplier for the other servers so I can not try the other servers yet.

I installed the entire server from the HP SmartStart CD and had 3 error messages on the HP System Management Homepage:-
1. Embedded NEC98431. Status: Enabled, Link Status: Failed.
2. HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter Port 1. Status: Link Failure, Interface Status: Failed.
3. HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter Port 2. Status: Link Failure, Interface Status: Failed.

I cannot find anywhere to enable the NICs

Regards

Matthew
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

so, I assume that you have connected all 3 interfaces to a proper working switch, when you enter to the network connectios, do you still see all of the interfaces with the red X over them? does the state change when you plug/unplug the cables to those NICS?
Matthew Fleming
Occasional Advisor

I have not connected the server to a switch, we are still waiting for it to arrive. I have a 4 port hub should I could connect the server to in the meantime? Currently when I plug in and un-plug the network cable nothing different happens.

Thanks for your ongoing support.
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

yeah, of course, link status is not gonna change cause you dont have a signal on the other side of the cable, connect them to the powered switch/hub and see if you have a link (you should have a led on the hub's port) and a blinking led on the server also.
regards,
Matthew Fleming
Occasional Advisor

Thank-you I will try this now, the strange thing is I tried to add the server role of Domain Controller and configure AD but it would not let me saying their is no IP address or network, I did not think I needed to have the NIC connected to a hub to allowed me to promote the server to the role of Domain Controller.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi Matt,

The problem is more related to the configuration you are trying to do on the AD side.

Can you confirm that you have gone through all the proper steps?

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor
Solution

You cannot promote a server to DC if there's no IP address assigned, especially if you plan to configure DHCP, DNS or other roles. and of course cables have to be connected in order to properly enable the network adapters. connecting them to the switch/hub would do the trick.
Matthew Fleming
Occasional Advisor

Hi Yogeeraj,

Thank-you for your reply.

After completing the HP StartSmart CD I assigned NIC 1 an IP address of 192.168.10.2 I then configured DNS and DHCP (both through "Manage You Server Roles", I then went to install AD and have the error message:-
Configure TCP/IP
You must configure the TCP/IP networking protocol. The Wizard has detected that there are no valid IP addresses assigned to any of the network adapters for this computer.

However I get the HP Proliant Integrated Management Log Viewer message:-
Network Adapter Link Down (Slot 0, Port 1)
Network Adapter Link Down (Slot 0, Port 2)

And the other HP errors list above.

Regards

Matt