ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752782 Members
6072 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: NIC LAN ports stay up on DL360g8/DL380g8 after being disabled, and even when server is powered o

hzdrus
Visitor

NIC LAN ports stay up on DL360g8/DL380g8 after being disabled, and even when server is powered off

Hi,

I have a problem that built-in NIC LAN ports stay up on DL360g8/DL380g8 after being disabled, and even after server is switched off using power button.

If I disable LAN interfaces from the OS (Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6), I see on Cisco 3750 switch logs that port goes down, and then immediately goes up, while the OS reports it to be down. It's as if something else takes over the port once the OS releases it.

I even tried unloading the network driver (tg3 module), ports don't show at all in the OS, but still the same.

LAN ports stay up while in BIOS, while in boot loader, etc.

Also, if I power off the server using power button, again LAN ports stay up! I disabled Wake-on-Lan in BIOS.

I checked on LAN1 and LAN2 ports.

Any ideas ? Having ports always up causes various issues with load-balancing & makes us unable to monitor them properly.

HP ProLiant System ROM version 07/15/2012.

6 REPLIES 6
hzdrus
Visitor

Re: NIC LAN ports stay up on DL360g8/DL380g8 after being disabled, and even when server is powered o

Tried upgrading iLO to 1.13 - didn't help.

hzdrus
Visitor

Tried upgrading BIOS to 2012.12.14 (A) (11 Jan 2013) - didn't help either.

The server keep LAN ports up even when "powered off" (using power button). Wake-on-LAN and network boot is disabled in BIOS.

Since this happens even when you unplug power cables and plug them back in, without starting the server, my feeling is that the issue is somehow related to iLO.

Dave73
Regular Advisor

What flexi lom are you using ?

hzdrus
Visitor

Flexilom 4-port 331FLR.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

I think you're confusing hardware and software. If you choose to not configure an interface at the OS level, the hardware doesn't know that and will still try to get link. Unless I'm reading you wrong, disconnecting the ethernet cable should get rid of the link light.
hzdrus
Visitor

No. Interface link should not go up unless instructed by the OS.

The behavior to be always up independantly of the OS breaks link bonding and monitoring.