6166 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC Teaming / Load Balancing under WIN2K

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

NIC Teaming / Load Balancing under WIN2K

I have a question:
Is it possible to enable NIC Teaming or Load Balancing without using Windows 2000 Advanced Server on my ProLiant servers?

I only have Windows 2000 Server (standard), but was curious if by using a Compaq Fast Ethernet NIC, drivers and software, I can utilize this feature without purchasing additional software which includes the load balancing feature.

I would be thankful for any input.

Steve Willibrand
Network Administrator
Pasadena, Ca.
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We are using NIC Teaming in 2000 Server standard, NC3122 NICs. We have noticed that when a failover occurs, the secondary will often have packet loss and poor performance and we have to force a failover back to the primary in order to resolve it. We're not sure where the problem is yet.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads-up. Please post any follow-up information regarding your NIC failover problem. I would be interested to know what happens.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You can set up NIC's to failover in windows 2000. Is this a new install? Was this an upgrade to an existing server, or a clean install of win2k.

Verify your drivers are updated.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Phil-
Thanks for your help.
It would be a clean install of Win2k Standard Edition.
My reason for asking is to exploit the load-balancing feature using Compaq technology without having to purchase Win2K Advanced Server.
Does Compaq provide a solution? What options do I have available?

Thanks again,
Steve