ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753381 Members
5842 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIC bad only incoming.

Peter Gallick

NIC bad only incoming.

I had an odd thing happen this morning. On one of our servers, I was unable to see it on the network, ping it, RDP it, etc. It was invisible. That server could, however, get to the internet, RDP out, ping servers in our network and out, etc. I plugged into the 2nd NIC and everything was fine in both directions.

Why would a NIC fail in only one direction? Lights were green. Everything outgoing was fine, but nothing incoming. EXCEPT: I was able to do an RPC to my exchange account.

Odd. Can anybody give me some insight into this?
6 REPLIES 6
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: NIC bad only incoming.

hi

what is the server model?
what is the OS?
NIC Cards? both the same?
latest drivers?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Perhaps there were issues with MAC forwarding tables in one or more switches, or perhaps even some issues with duplicate IP's. Just guessing.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Peter Gallick

DL-380
Windows server 2003
Both NICs are the same. The originals that came in that machine.
Drivers are the latest.
I did just install updates, including service pack 2 the evening before it happened. However, I RDPd into the server after installation and reboot and everything seemed fine. Judging by the event logs, it died about 9 hours after reboot/update.
Peter Gallick

Oh, and it has a static IP, so that shouldn't be an issue. We also don't do NAT as we have a full class C, if that helps.
Peter Gallick

Oh, and it has a static IP, so that shouldn't be an issue. We also don't do NAT as we have a full class C, if that helps. Thanks!
Rancher
Honored Contributor

You might check the NIC speed and duplex on the server and compare it with the port/switch. Maybe the update changed a setting and there is a mis match now.