ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753783 Members
6847 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

NIC error causes application popups

NIC error causes application popups

Hi,

I am having a problem on an ML570 (Windows 2000 Server SP4). The following is a synopsis of the setup. The machine is an Oracle database server.

Setup:

There are 2 NICs, both HP7771 Gigabit.

NIC 1 is patched directly to a Human Machine Interface (HMI) workstation on the manufacturing floor. It is configured with a 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

NIC 2 is configured to the business network as part of a global domain.

Problem:

The problem I’m getting is that when the HMI workstation goes down I get a NIC Agents error in the server event viewer:

NIC Agent: Connectivity has been lost for the NIC in slot 4, port 1. [SNMP TRAP: 18006 in CPQNIC.MIB]

This is followed by a series of Information Popup events as below:

Application popup: nmupm.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

The same event occurs for the following utilities:

nmupm.exe
perl.exe
frmctrl.exe
emdctl.exe
cmd.exe

The popups continually come up which to me indicates that they cannot communicate with some service.

These utilities appear to be Oracle performance monitoring related tools. I have raised the issue with Oracle however they indicate that it is an issue related to the binding of the network card.

It may be that this is by design, however it seems rather destructive at teh server end. Only a re-boot will make the popups go away.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Mickey