ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751971 Members
4776 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIC problem - Can't get a n/w connection.

Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

NIC problem - Can't get a n/w connection.

I've just upgraded from windows NT to 2000 Server on a Proliant 6500. I can bring up windows ok, but I can't get a network connection.

When Windows starts up the following event is shown on the console display

CRITICAL
LINK FAULT
Main system
Port 1
Slot 2

I get the same for port 2 also. Slot 2 is for my Network Card.

I've looked in the event viewer and the following is found in the System log

Compaq NIC Agent: Connectivity has been lost for the NIC in slot 2, port 1

I've gone to Network and Dial Up Connections. Type is set to LAN Connections, and Status is set to Network Cable unplugged. I've checked and the cable is securely in ok.

I've then gone to Properties and configure and am told that The Device is working properly PCI SLot 2. Under the Resources tab, it says that there are No Conflicts. Overall everything looks ok from the Windows side. Anyone any ideas.

Thanks

Chris
3 REPLIES 3
Roman K. Krobath
Occasional Advisor

Re: NIC problem - Can't get a n/w connection.

Chris, Have you tried using the latest Win2K NIC driver for your NIC?
I'd Rather be Golfing
Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Roman,

I checked to see which drivers are valid for the NIC in windows. My NIC is a

Netelligent Dual 10/100TX PCI UTP Controller.

It came back with the one i've got installed (5.0.1.18 - Compaq - 31/01/2001) and a Microsoft driver (5.0.1.18 - 25/10/1999). The Microsoft driver was recommended so I installed that. However, I still get the same problem.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by "It came back with the one i've got installed (5.0.1.18 - Compaq - 31/01/2001) and a Microsoft driver (5.0.1.18 - 25/10/1999)". What is "it"? Windows update? Who recommended the MS driver?

This has only started happening since the machine was upgraded to Win2000? It is an upgrade and not a clean install? Was the primer utility run on this machine, prior to performing the upgrade?

Other than the error you're getting, does everything else appear to be fine? Do you actually have network connectivity?

I would recommend downloading and installing the latest support pack on this machine:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16259.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..