cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIC

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

NIC

I cannot get the embedded network interface to work. I have tried installing the compaq driver from the windows CD, but the adapter does not appear in the list of network configuration components afterwards. I have also tried an AMD driver from the CD, which did make the adapter appear, and the computer appeared under network neighborhood, but gave random blue screen errors(ex 0d at 0028:C1498CB5 in VXD.... 028:C001C494 in VXD ND IS(01) + 00004920) and spontaneous rebooting. The last attempt was a driver from the AMD web site, and although it loaded, it complained that there was a missing file, and there was a message that the card was not set up correctly. Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: NIC

The driver for the embedded NIC , is supplied by the OS . The driver is the AMD PCNET FAMILY . Go to Control Panel/ Network / Adapter / Add ....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Roger, Thanks for the reply. Which of the 3 AMD PCNET family Adapters should I choose from the list, i.e. (PCI&ISA), (PCI), or /ISA+ ?. I have Windows 98 SE.
Regards, Steve.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The AMD drivers did not appear to be correct, and the closest I got to success was a driver for the Prosignia VS from the Compaq download site. However, this did not let me look at the rest of the network, and I had a number of refuse to boot installations that required a registry restore, so I fited a LinkSys Ether16 card, and it worked first time.