1752661 Members
6254 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NMI error

Starla

NMI error

Getting several NMI errors. "Unrecoverable System Error (NMI) has occurred. Have searched resources for this error and cannot find any information on it. Any help you can provide is most appreciated. Also getting Device ScsiPort0 did not respond within timeout period and cpg32fs2 system start driver failed to load. HELP!
14 REPLIES 14
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Starla,
Could you post as to which model of server are you using and which support pack you have alongwith the OS?? As for as CPQ32FS2 error message you're getting that can be taken care of by updating the onboard SCSI controller driver. Please connect to the following link and update the driver:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17320.html

Regards,
Roy Main
Valued Contributor

Starla,

I take it that system worked fine before? If the 2 problems are related then you quite possibly have a bad scsi controller. If that particular hd is bad and you replace but continue to have the NMIs, I would look at the controller.
Starla

This is a Compaq Proliant 7000 Server running Windows NT4 SP6 and all the latest hot fixes and patches.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

When you updated the Microsoft patches did you also run the Compaq Support Pack? Microsoft does a nice job of packaging out of date drivers.
Starla

We have corrected the cpg32fs2 problem, but still getting NMI errors. NMI = Non Maskable Interrupt which is a memory error. Compaq was onsite and supposedly replaced the memory but the server went down again today with the same error. I will be addressing this with COMPAQ unless anyone has run into this situation and can share their adventure. THANKS!
Roy Main
Valued Contributor

It *might* be caused by memory. But memory is everywhere these days - on all the controllers too. So I would suspect a bad controller or system board - not really the DIMMs.

If a piece of hw does something really bad, an NMI will be triggered signaling the processor to shut down.

if the NMIs occur often or after some predictable pattern then u can strip the server down to its minimal components and try to isolate the hw - the server may already be at the point - i dont know.

if there are no inidications of what is causing the NMI you will have to guess - guessing can be *really* time consuming.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Starla,
Sometimes the latest and the greatest is not good enough. Please apply the support pack version 6.20 from the following link and let us know if NMI error is gone:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16263.html

Regards,
Starla

Thank you for the advice. Does this SP require a reboot?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Starla,
Yes this required a reboot. Therefore, apply this support pack when you have down time in your hands.

Regards,