1751753 Members
4035 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NOISY FAN on ML350 G5

GaryD_1
Occasional Advisor

Andrew - Can you confirm if you reset your server's NVRAM using the RBSU option ? (F9 at boot and into adv options)
GaryD_1
Occasional Advisor

another update - On one of the servers with this fan problem I couldn't find the 'clear NVRAM' option in the BIOS (prior to this I had disengaed the hard drives). We then powered down the server and pulled the power cords from the back of the server and left them unplugged for 30 secs. After pushing the drives back in and powering on the server the fans were all back to normal. Hope this helps
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

I did have 2 clients where the power supply would not throttle down the fanspeed even there was no indication for this excessive 'cooling'.

All readings were normal, guess this could be a issue.
Nik Holmes

Update - disconnecting the server from mains power for a minute restored the fan speed and noise level to normal.

I guess it will go noisy again at some point, but a workaround is as good as a fix!
Digismart
Frequent Visitor

I think that the problem is caused by the power supply.
See  

[Expired Broken link removed on <4/4/2017> by Mod] 

wayne forster
Occasional Advisor

The thread just provided was for ML370 I dont believe that the 350 has pluggable fans?
Nik Holmes

The main system fans are pluggable, but the noise is coming from the CPU fan, which isn't pluggable. But the point from the ML370 thread is that the cure was to change the PSUs, not the fan..?

My fan has gone noisy again, about 4 days after I quietened it by disconnecting from the mains for a short period. So that's only a very temporary fix.

Anyone else cured this problem on a ML350 by replacing PSUs? Any wisdom from HP on this?

Thanks
nik
George Jires
Advisor

Hi,this strange behavior occur regullary on saturday morning,when employes coming to office. System fans are at full speed until server is restarted,then fans work normally. We already try replace system board and power supply,flash newest firmware and install last PSP,but problem persist.Management homepage does not indicate any problem.
I await for reply from HP support,which i wrote to today.
GaryD_1
Occasional Advisor

I raised a support call with HP for one of our ML350 G5's and it is a known issue with the PSU, they replaced it (Warranty swap out) and the problem has gone away. Check your servers to see if it is the PSU fan making the noise, if it is, it does not report a problem in the HP System management page and the PSU will need to be replaced
wayne forster
Occasional Advisor

I also raised a support issue with HP. They had to read this thread to agree there was an issue. They send a new PSU and 5 days later, we're still quiet. Fingers crossed