5770 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NT Error log

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

NT Error log

Hi,
I have a Compaq Proliant 5000 with a Smart 2/P RAID Controller installed (Slot 3) running Windows NT4 Server - SP6. (External Storage box connected to the RAID Controller)
The server is getting numerous error messages in the NT Event Log 'The device, \device\ScsiPort1, did not respond within the timout period'. Event ID:9, Source : symc810.
MS Technet suggests this is likely to be due to a hardware error - possibly termintation
Would this message be reporting a problem with a device attached to the onboard SCSI Controller (CD-ROM being the only device attached that I am aware of) or the RAID Controller...?
As far as I am aware both of these are terminated automatically in a Proliant 5000 - Is this the case?
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

The symc810 is for the on-board scsi port. If there is nothing plugged into these ports you can do 2 things. Plug in a terminated cable on port 1. The other way is to remove the Symbios C810 driver.
Please make sure that your operating system is off the smart array controller and not the on-board or you might not be able to get back into NT.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mark,
Thanks for your reply.
The server had a SCSI CD-ROM attached to the onboard SCSI port. I have now disconnected the CD-ROM temporarily to see if it wasi causing the problem.. At present there do not seem be any more occurances of the error so suspect the CD-ROM to be a lazy device. Will monitor and if no more errors will order a replacement CD-ROM.. Thanks for your help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

After the CD-ROM Drive was disconnected for approx 1 week a replacement CD-ROM was ordered. As soon as the replacement CD-ROM was fitted the errors begun to reoccur..
I have compared this server with another server and noticed that within Windows NT4 services that the symc810 service is not started on the other server (which does not get this error).. Does anyone know if I am likely to get any problems by disabling this service on the problem server? Does anyone else have any suggestions as to a possible cause?