1752643 Members
5605 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NT4 Server Install Problems

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

NT4 Server Install Problems

Help! I'm having problems install NT4 server on the above kit. The PC tells me it can't find a hard disk to install to and the installtion fails. The PC is fitted with the standard-shipped SCSI card and a 4GB SCSI disk. The only extra item is an IDE CD-rom (with is correctly detected by the NT install prog). The PC's hard disk has two partitions (1) Diag (2) Active, Win98 formated and 'SYS'ed.

I've tried the following without success.......
1) Pressing 'S' to display a list of supported SCSI host adapters, selecting 'other' and inserted the correct hardware driver. This is correctly detected, but still the install fails saying there is no disk to install to.
2) Flashing the BIOS to see if a got an extra boot options (I didn't)
3) Copying the NT i386 directory to the local disk and performing a bootdisk-less install (winnt /b /s:path)

How do I get NT to install on this kit? ANY ideas would be aprecated...

Thanks, Brian
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: NT4 Server Install Problems

I have rather the same troubles, but my hard disk is about 9GB.
Previously there was installed NT4 (NTFS) on 2 partitions (4 & 4.5 GB).

So, i'd be glad to get the answer too.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you're still having the problem, please email us at support@compaq.com - IF you'd try a assisted install with the smartstart disk that came with the server, I think you wouldn't have this paticular problem.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

till if you have problem pl mail me i can help you....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

i am also having the above problem, i can install it with the guided install option, but i don't want nt to be installed in de default winnt directory.
wat can i do?
thnx, jacques
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

found that it is very important to first install the SCSI driver and then the IDE driver, to do this make sure you boot from the Windows NT4 Server disks and skip mass storage devices, then first install the SCSI Driver from the Disk (made from Smart start CD, disk 2 of 4)and then install the IDE driver from the standard NT list,
I hope this is also a solution for you, if you have any questions, let me know at jacques.vis@icl.com
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Comapq servers, or any branded server, need to have the relevant device drivers installed on the system before the OS can be installed.These drivers must be initialised before one starts installation.Use the Smart Start Cd and the Server profile diskette. This should solve this issue.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanx to all, i solved my problem by creating first partition as FAT-16 and installing there WinNT with on-boot reformatting to NTFS.