1753496 Members
4093 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

NVMe on ML 350 G6

Dian_Consulting
Occasional Advisor

NVMe on ML 350 G6

We are trying to install PCI NVMe SSD (M8PeY) on HP Proliant ML 350 G6 and have following problem:
Init process halts right before the screen with prompt "F9 for BIOS setup, F11 for boot override" thus it's not possible to enter BIOS setup or select any boot device.
Looks like firmware/BIOS problem.
How could this issue be fixed?

6 REPLIES 6
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Re: NVMe on ML 350 G6

Greetings,

The mentioned, PCI NVMe SSD (M8PeY) is Generation 3 PCIe device, however ML350 G6 servers expansion slots are Generation 2. Hence, the NVMe device is not compatible with the ML350 G6 server.

Please verify the supported slots with the Vendor.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Dian_Consulting
Occasional Advisor

Why do you think PCI-E 3 is not backward compatible? (Standard itself assumes compatibility)

If it's not compatible than how drive could be detected by OS?

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Greetings.

Since you have mentioned that the Drive is detected in OS, please verify for compatible firmware & drivers for the NVMe card from the Vendor. Since the card is a Non HPE device, HPE does not provide an updated driver or firmware for the device.

Verify if the server BIOS & Chipset drivers are up to date before adding the NVMe device in the server.

The NVMe card is PCIe Gen 3 device whereas the PCIe slots available in the ML350 G6 server is a Gen 2 PCIe slot. Hence the slot may not support a Gen 3 device.

We request to confirm the support from the card Vendor.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Dian_Consulting
Occasional Advisor

According to vendor's support - drive should work with Gen 2 PCI-E slot

Server BIOS version is D22 (05/21/2018) - the latest one I could find. Is there update?

DANDKS
HPE Pro

Greetings.

HPE introduced NVMe support for servers from Generation 9 models & above. Hence, officially HPE has not tested NVMe functionality on servers prior to Gen9 models.

As per the vendor the NVMe will work fine on a PCIe Gen2 slots. The latest BIOS version for the ML350 G6 server is D22 (05/21/2018).

As mentioned, since HPE has not tested the NVMe drives on Generation 6 server models, there are no supported drivers released for the same. The Drive functionality is completely dependant on the OS inbox drivers & vendor firmware.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Ross Wisdom

@Dian_Consulting  I'm interested to know if you ever got this working?