New Discussion юеВ

Re: Naming of iLO with extended BIOS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Naming of iLO with extended BIOS

Hello everyone,

First I will give a little background to the issue I have come across. This all relates to the DL380s we use (G1-G3s), with our G1 machines we have PCI RIB boards in them or RILOE boards.

When the computer is renamed the board keeps the name that the computer was first built with (appearing in the blue title bar of the RIB board). This is easily resolved in this case by selecting F10 on boot and doing a SCU, then looking into the details when prompted and changing the RIB name that is carried in the BIOS.

However on the newer G3s we have iLO boards in place and they of course use an extended BIOS doing away with the Compaq system utilities and thus I have not been able to rename the iLO post a rename of the computer.

I have looked in the extended BIOS but nothing looks like what I need. Has anyone come across this and knows a fix?

Thank you all
why?
7 REPLIES 7
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here we go. If you want to change the name of your iLO, use your browser to connect to it, then go to "Administration" tab, click on "Network Settings" and you will see a field called "iLO Subsystem Name". Put there the new name and click "Apply".

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Zigor
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Zigor,

No that is not what I am looking for. That will indeed change the iLO Name. But I want to change the Server name that the iLO has.

When you login to an iLO and you go to the system status page (ie_index.htm) You will see at the top of the screen:

iLO name: xxxxxxx
Server name: xxxxxx

This server name field must be coming from somewhere and I suspect the BIOS if the old RILOE boards are anything to go by.

Anyone else?
why?
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi,

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. Let's try other thing:
- "Control panel" --> "Compaq Management Agent for Servers"
In the "Services" tab check if the "Remote Insight information" is on the box "Active agents". If not, include it.
I think that then you will be prompted to restart the Compaq agents ( don't remember exactly ). Once restarted, open again your browser and see what happens.

Hope this helps and sorry again.
Kind regards,
Zigor
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

No need to apologise Zigor, I know it is an odd question.

Well I am going to give your idea a whirl. We disable the Compaq agents on the machines that have this iLO issue due to the custom apps they run.

So I am going to experiment with your instructions soon. It does sound like it might not work if the RILOEs in the G1s is anything to go by.

I'll let you know shortly.
why?
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

H Zigor,

That worked. I guess the issue would never had arisen if we actually used the Compaq Server Service.

Cool, I'll lock this one away.

Thanks heaps
why?
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi again,

Now that it have worked, you can try to disable again the Compaq agents, and see if still appears the name.
I have excluded the "Remote Insight Information" from the services, restarted the agents, and still appears the name of the server. I don't know if, once rebooted the server, still the iLO keeps the server name, but you can try it, if you really don't want the agents running. I'm afraid I don't have a test server available to confirm that.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Zigor
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Zigor,

I have indeed disabled the service again and the server name in the iLO remains. I have not been able to reboot the box due to it's production role so it will be a wait and see game.

Thanks again,
Paul
why?