1748129 Members
3672 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need HVD adapter for ML 570/G2

Mark R. Graves
Occasional Advisor

Need HVD adapter for ML 570/G2

I purchased a AHA-2944UW adapter only to find it would not work in a ML570/G2 server. Are there ANY high-voltage differential SCSI adapters out there that will work with the ML 570/G2?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Need HVD adapter for ML 570/G2

Hi Mark,

Compaq/HP use a dual channel PCI to HVD SCSI controller for access to older HVD tape libraries like the earlier TL891/TL895 and ESL9000 models.

Here is a link to the quickspec for it.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10459_na/10459_na.HTML

I hope this helps,

Brian

Mark R. Graves
Occasional Advisor

Can anyone confirm that this adapter will work in the Compaq ML570/G2?

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Mark,

I suspect that the problem with your original 2944UW is that it needs a 5V PCI slot. Unfortunately Adaptec's product specification isn't clear about this.
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/techspecs.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AHA-2944UW&cat=%2fProduct%2fAHA-2944UW

The specs for the controller I indicated in my earlier reply show that it requires a 3/5V PCI Bus Master slot. The slots in the ML570G2 will be 3.3V so should be OK. I will try and contact an HP pre-sales technical consultant to confirm this is OK and supported in the ML570G2 server.

What is it that you are trying to achieve anyway, i.e. what are you going to connect to the server that is HVD and how many SCSI ports do you need? There are external solutions (convertors)that can go from LVD to HVD, so you may be able to use the onboard LVD SCSI as the source and use a convertor to HVD to achieve the solution.

Regards,

Brian

Mark R. Graves
Occasional Advisor

I have two DLT drives -- one with a robotics mechanism. So, I need three high-voltage differential SCSI ports.

The AHA-2944UW would not work because it would PHYSICALLY not fit into the PCI-X slots on the ML570/G2.