1753735 Members
4353 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Need advice PLz

wesam_az
Occasional Contributor

Need advice PLz

I have proliant DL380P GEN8 , I'm going to deploy sage 300 ERP system ,and use the sever to host the company's website..

I have 8 SAS HDD (2TP 10K SAS),

my questions plz:

1- what's the best RAID configuration for my HDDs?

2- Is it better to use HDDs in bay 1 & 2 as RAID 1 logical drive and install Windows server 2012R2 on each of them??.

3- Is there any way to protect my HDDs from damaging ,as the first 4HDDs sudenly stopped working and during powering the server on asked to replace them

any advice would be appreciated

thanks in advance

waiting your reply

1 REPLY 1
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Re: Need advice PLz

Hello

As always, "it depends" is the answer. It depends on your desired performance requirements and needed capacity. RAID10 will give you the best performance and (possibly) greater risk avoidance from drive failures but the worst capacity efficiency. RAID6 will give you pretty good protections against failures but won't perform quite as well (especially on writes) but you'll get better capacity efficiency. I'd probably do a single RAID6 logical disk and choose the 8th disk as a spare. This will give you 5 disks worth of capacity instead of the four you'd get with RAID10 but also gives you extra protection by having the spare ready to go in case of drive failure. Or, you could use all 8 drives in a RAID6 get 6 drives worth of capacity so long as you are monitoring the system carefully and replacing failed drives quickly. 

If it were me, I wouldn't waste two 2TB physical drives for OS. If they were smaller drives then maybe but it's a waste of space and you are taking away space and performance from the RAID group that will be created with the remaining 6. 

In terms of protecting the drives, it would be the same as any data center equipment. Be gentle with it, take static control measures, avoid shocks/drops, and keep it in a room with proper temperature and humidity. 

If you're using a Generation 8 server then I'm guessing you are either repurposing it or bought it used. In either case, if the server had been running for a couple years then shut off, shipped, whatever; it's not unusualy to have some drives that don't start back up again if they've been running continuously for years. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo