1753305 Members
6175 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need advice on choosing new c-class blade servers

Luis_135
Advisor

Need advice on choosing new c-class blade servers

What are main differences between 460c and 480c?

I explain, i will connect blades to a SAN, so i do not need 4 disks per blade (2 RAID1 disks are more than enough), i also have enough with two NICs and two HBA's per blade.

I will configure an SQL Server Cluster, do i need the 480c? Is it more powerful? In terms of compute power?

From what i have read, they all seem alike, but the 480c is more expandable, but i don't need that.

What do you think?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Need advice on choosing new c-class blade servers

It also depends on how much memory you need, 480c has more sockets which gives potentially cheeper modules for a given amount of memory.

Ole Thomsen
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice on choosing new c-class blade servers

Luis,
In terms of comparing the servers, the BL460c is based on the DL360G5 server; the BL480c is a close cousin to the DL380G5.

When you are going to create a SAN based SQL cluster, it sounds as if either model will accommodate your needs. Each of the BL servers shares common CPU lines, so the next question will be how much I/O will you require for this SQL cluster? You may start out with the BL460c and then migrate to the BL480c if you need more I/O than the 460 can handle.

For blade servers, also think about future expansion and use of the blade chassis. You can fit 2 of the BL460c in the same slot that it would take for the BL480c.

Hope this helps,
Neal