ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752796 Members
5504 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help to config Proliant 3000

onecoolpilot

Need help to config Proliant 3000

This server was 'donated' to me and I am having a hard time getting into the configuration. the F10 partition has been erased, so I have to use a SmartStart cd to do it.

I have downloaded the SmartStart 5.5 from the HP website and burned it (tried various speed settings), but the machine will not boot to that cd. It says only "non system disk or disk error".

I can boot to the SS 8.3 disc, but that version does not support my model. Is it supposed to be able to boot directly to the 5.5 version, or am I missing something?

thank you for your help
5 REPLIES 5
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

onecoolpilot

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I have run the system erase (created with the 5.5 cd on a different computer). When the server boots from the erase floppy, I choose the option to erase everything, and in less than 1/2 second, it says that the system has been locked and to power cycle to finish.

Even after this, it will not boot to the 5.5 cd. It will boot to other cds, like server 2003 for example. I did have windows server running, until the erase, now it will not boot to the drives at all, even after reinstalling the os.
onecoolpilot

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention also:

in the link you provided, it said to make sure switches 2 and 4 are off, which from reading the setup guide, are the boot from floppy and lock config switches. They are both off on mine, however, there are 8 total switches, where the manual shows only 6, and they are in a different location on the board (bottom rear, rather than top front). And, I turned number 6 to on to clear the bios, but when I turned the machine on, started going though it's normal boot process (video came on, tested memory, started scanning for scsi drives...)

It just doesn't add up to me. Maybe I have an older or newer revision board?
onecoolpilot

Ok, First I owe you guys an apology. I had left out the fact that I had a different optical drive on the server (I didn't think it mattered that much).

After putting the server back the way it came, original cd drive, it booted off the SS 5.5 cd right away and I was able to get everything configured.

Thank you again for your help, and sorry for the trouble.

Jeff
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

so you solved your problem by your self.

Congraulation good job.

mikap