ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752793 Members
5948 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Need help to understand spare part to order (PE PCI Fan and Baffle Kit)

aboard_consult
Visitor

Need help to understand spare part to order (PE PCI Fan and Baffle Kit)

Greetings,

i would like to ask for some help to understand the correct part to order for a ML110 Gen9.

As adding an PCI-E SAS HBA controller which is very hot (150°F) the server outputs the following message at BIOS stage

" 308-Required Fan Not Installed- Fan 1 Missing "

Action: Install the required fan

Note that the error pop up only when the PCIE SAS HBA board was installed (for LTO tape), and not when only ILO card and SSD PCIE adapter were installed.

Would you please confirm that i've to buy 2 parts ?

i've seen this part : HP ML110 Gen9 PCI fan and baffle kit 784580-B21

but when i see resellers photos, it seems that this is only the blue pbracket and the fan kit which has to be installed in front face (i assume the fan to be sucking air into the case ?)

so after searching, it seems that i've also to buy this one too : Fan Air Baffle Proliant ml110 gen9 791709-001 785205-001 ; which is the black airflow guide 

I've ordered also a LSI HBA SAS 9200 (perhaps it will be cooler).
Many thanks for your help because i'm lost.

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Need help to understand spare part to order (PE PCI Fan and Baffle Kit)

Hello,

The HPE PartSurfer page for 791709-001 shows its picture. Also check if the fan 1 connect is not removed when PCIE SAS HBA board is being installed. The connector is the item 9 of the System board components on page 78 of the HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen9 Server Maintenance and Service Guide.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

AmRa
HPE Pro

On a ProLiant ML110 Gen 9 server with the following fans installed, the message, "308-Required Fan Not Installed-Fan3 Missing" may be displayed at Power-On Self-Test (POST):

The Optional 789654-B21 HP ML110 Gen9 System Fan Upgrade Kit is installed

RESOLUTION
A future version of the System ROM will correct this issue.

As a workaround, ignore the message displayed at POST. The system will continue to boot normally.

For more information please refer below customer advisory.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04722717

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
aboard_consult
Visitor

Greetings

i've ordered 2 HP parts (the fan with bracket and the air conduct) because, thanks for the hint, i can ignore post message, but i think theses part will be needed to cool the SAS HBA card which is pretty hot (+55°C/131°F).

I cannot unfortunately download bios update, because, contrary to other manufacturers, i have to buy a warranty extension only to download bios upgrade; and as this is a ML110 Gen9 2nd hand server just to "try HPE platform" - first time - i'll stay with rom 2.72. 

I think that HPE really should authorize bios download with a mention "at your own risk" (assuming that when you create an account you reference your hardware, so it's not to download all bios for all machines but only for the machine we have :-); moreover in this time of cyber attacks, it's mandatory to have up to date bioses. It serves the customer but also HPE.

Anyway, i sincerely thanks the community for helping.