108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need help upgrading ML350 G1 to Win2K

SOLVED
Go to solution
Glenn Brensinger
Occasional Advisor

Need help upgrading ML350 G1 to Win2K

I have a client with a ML350 Generation 1 server that is running Novell, and they want it upgraded to Windows 2000. I wanted to run my information by the experts to make sure I won't run into any problems before I actually do the upgrade (since the server is in another state, and it's been a while since I have worked on Compaq systems, I don't want to get onsite and be stuck.)

Does this system support Windows 2000 Professional, or do I have to load Server? Any tricks I need to watch out for?

I downloaded the parts list, and I see a 933Mhz processor upgrade kit and a 1Ghz kit. Will this server actually support the 1Ghz kit? Most of the references I see to this G1 server mention a top speed of 933Mhz.

I also want to update the hard drives from the 3 9.1GB drives in there now to 4 36.4G drives. Should just be a matter of using the latest SmartStart CD to reconfigure the SmartArray card for the new configuration, right? Also, from what I am reading in this forum, I use the SmartStart CD to install Windows 2000, or I can boot the Windows 2000 CD and then hit F6 to select the SmartArray driver disk? Will the SmartStart CD have all the Windows 2000 drivers I need to bring up the ML350 (assuming of course that the server has all Compaq parts, which it does.)

I saw references to problems booting the OS if the server has 1G of RAM. The server now has 512M, but they want to upgrade it to 1G. Should I install Windows first, then add the additional RAM, or does the latest BIOS upgrade solve this problem? Is this problem due to using non-Compaq memory?

Thanks for any guidance!

Glenn
5 REPLIES 5
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Need help upgrading ML350 G1 to Win2K

Glen:

Yes a ML350 is a good box to run Win2K Server on and I would highly recommend using the smartstart as a build process. If you use the SmartStart CD, it will walk you though the entire build. You can configure the RAID, the O/S partitions and any extra boards you have. It will even add all the drivers and such you will need for Win2K after the first login. Just let it do its thing...

As far as runing Win2K Pro, I do not think SmartStart will support it. I think it will error out when it askes for the "Server" CD.

IMHO, you should "upgrade" the box after you have installed the servers O/S, checked for any errors, etc...

Be sure to upgrade each component one at a time. If you throw all the upgrades in at once and you get an error, you wont know which peice failed. Install the RAM and let it boot, check for errors, etc, rinse and repeat.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Glenn Brensinger
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply... I'm not sure they need Windows 2000 Server for what they are doing, but if I'm going to have trouble installing Pro, I guess I'll have to go with Server anyway.

Do you have any answers about the processor module? Can a G1 system support a 1GHz P3 or is it limited to the 933?

Glenn
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

In my experience, there are two versions of the Gen 1, I think the bios version is the determining factor. I have a G1 that has the 733 processor here and its bios (D02/F02) 5/21/01 shows that it can be upgraded to run Pentium III B0 Stepping processors but only if you run that bios update. If you were to err on the side of caution, go with the 933 (I'm sure the diference is negligable). If your Gen 1 has the (D04/F04) bios, you should be able to upgrade to 1Ghz, according to the documentation.
I hope this helps! ;-)
-John
Enjoy!

JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Sorry about the double post... bus here is what I was looking at:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/2022.html

Scroll down the Version 4.08A history and take a read.
Enjoy!

Glenn Brensinger
Occasional Advisor

Excellent, thanks very much. It might be possible to upgrade them to the 1G, but I'd rather not take the chance, get down there and find out that they have an older BIOS that can't be upgraded to support the 1Ghz processor. I'll go with the 933 to be safe.

Thanks again!

Glenn