cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a RAID array configuration

Stan Penko
Occasional Visitor

Need help with a RAID array configuration

I have a DL380G2 with an external disk enclosure 4300. The array is attached to a SmartArray 6402.

I currently have 3 145GB drives in the array set at RAID 0. I would like to add 5 more drives to the array. What I was going to do was create a new RAID 5 set with those 5 drives, transfer the data from the RAID 0 set to the RAID 5, break the RAID 0 set and then add those drives to the RAID 5 set so that I have a total of 8 drives in my RAID 5 set. Can I do this without breaking my RAID 5 set?
3 REPLIES
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help with a RAID array configuration

Hi Stan

Its a good idea but the boot drives are on your array A which is the raid 0 once the date moved to the array b (you raid five drives raid 5 just created with the ACU); and once the raid 0 removed the server expects to boot off array A but now you will only have array B. Even if array B gets bump to array A when deleting the array A (your 3 drives with raid 0) the OS might not recognized the new array A as your boot up drives (at the os level). If you attempt any configuration I would strongly suggest suggest backup up before any attempt.

Regards
claude
Stan Penko
Occasional Visitor

Hi Cluade. I failed to mention that I have 6x 72GB internal raid on the DL380 which is the boot raid.
Mike Ludwig
Frequent Advisor

I can't say I've tried it but I've converted a mirror to raid 5 while the system was live with no problems. You could see if the array config utility will let you convert your raid 0 to a 5 and add all your disks at once. Feel free to tell me I'm on crack if it wont let you do it, I just know you can go from raid 1 to raid 5. Boy was I happy when I realized I could do it.