6348 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need recommendation on bigger disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Siver

Need recommendation on bigger disks

I've got a ProLiant 1600 with a SmartArray 221 controller and 5 9Gb wide ultra-2 SCSI drives. I need to increase the amount of disk storage and would like to do it by replacing the 9 Gb drives with larger ones. I haven't kept up with the SCSI versions and don't know what hot-plug drives currently available are compatible with the SmartArray 221. Does anyone out there know?
3 REPLIES 3
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi Frank,

See the below doccument tells you all
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10035_div/10035_div.HTML

But still i pasted same from there.......

Hard Drives
(Caution ├в Check to make sure that you are using the right drive with the correct drive cage.)
Wide Ultra3 SCSI ├в Universal Hot Plug
36.4-GB Wide Ultra3 SCSI 10,000 rpm Drive (1├В┬▓ ) 176496-B22

18.2-GB Wide Ultra3 SCSI 10,000 rpm Drive (1├В┬▓ ) 142673-B22

9.1-GB Wide Ultra3 SCSI 10,000 rpm Drive (1├В┬▓ ) 142671-B22

18.2-GB Wide Ultra3 SCSI 15,000 rpm Drive (1├В┬▓ ) 188122-B22

9.1-GB Wide Ultra3 SCSI 15,000 rpm Drive (1├В┬▓ ) 188120-B22

Take care.....

Regar
Nothing is impossible
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Frank,

THe Proliant 1600 came with both the wide-Ultra cage (P450 and below) using the ultra half hieght hot plugs and the Ultra3 cage(P500 and up) using the low profile Universal hot plugs. (see http://e4servicesinc.com/comhotplugdr.html for a complete chart of both proliant models)

We have, and you can use, drives up to 181GB with the controller, there are no limitations to size of the drive, nor the drive, as long as they are backware compatible to the Ultra interface. So as long as the phyicals are compatible, you are good to go.
You can replace each 9GB, one at a time, allowing rebuild time of hours between exchanges (if you have the time) or backup and restore onto the new set (if you have the ability) setting the old set aside with notes on their configuration in the controller and location in the server, so if need be you can replace then and not loose anything.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hey Frank,

I am sure you have read through the quick specs document as highlighted by Prashant. However, I would check the following before you perform your intended task,

1.Upgrade the system BIOS to the latest version.
2.Upgrade the SA221 controller FW to the latest version
3.Upgrade the latest Proliant drivers.
4.Once you have extended the size of the array, ensure tools such as Diskpart (if using Microsoft OS) or dynamic disks functionality are available to you to extend your OS level logical volumes/partitions.

Regards,