108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need to Monitor hardware through log in Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salvatore Cagliari_1
Occasional Advisor

Need to Monitor hardware through log in Linux

We have some HP Proliant servers with Linux installed (SuSE & Red Hat) which have the Proliant Agents installed.

When we try to send the SNMP Traps from the servers to our monitoring solution, we receive some less than optimal Traps saying "Status is now 3" when a disk failed. No more information. :-(

Now we would like to implement a monitoring of the /var/log/messages log to capture hardware failures.

Has anybody already done something like that?
For which pattern could we look?
Is there more information available than on the pure SNMP Trap?

On our current log I see some entries which starts with
4 REPLIES 4
Roy Main
Valued Contributor
Solution

What is your monitoring solution? Are you using HP SIM or the System Management Homepage? You will receive much more information with those apps.

Have you imported the HP MIBs into your monitoring solution?

If you're sure you want to monitor the logs I suppose you could write a script (such as perl) and put it on your cron directory to monitor the log.
Salvatore Cagliari_1
Occasional Advisor

We can't use none of the mentioned Tools. As far as I know we don't have imported the HP MIB's in it.

We use Nimbus from Nimsoft. I don't know if it's possible to import MIB's in it.

Nimbus is able to scan a Text File for Patterns with the use of Regular Expressions.

So what we need is to have a pattern how the HP Agents writes Events to the messages log in Linux.

Thank you for any help
Salvatore
Roy Main
Valued Contributor

You are going to need to compile the MIBs into Nimbus. If you read the HP MIBs, you can look at the drive failure events and see the description that agent is likely to write to the log and use that in your regular expression.

There are a couple of MIBs for the hard drives depending on what driver/drives you are are using. I don't know right off the top of my head which ones you need, but if you examine them, you should be able to figure it out.

Salvatore Cagliari_1
Occasional Advisor

OK, thanks for the tips. We have to look if it's possible to do this. We have to check.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers
Salvatore