1753840 Members
8375 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need to add USB 2.0 to DL580 G2

Jack_71
Occasional Advisor

Need to add USB 2.0 to DL580 G2

i have searched the forums and other sources and have found nothing very conclusive.

i am looking for specific information;

what card did you get to work?
what slot did you install it into?
where did you purchase the card?

thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
7 REPLIES 7
tomasz.puchalski
Valued Contributor

Re: Need to add USB 2.0 to DL580 G2

i dont think there is a special hp card. if You really need usb2.0 try some new card in slot 1 or 2. slots are 64bit/100mhz pcix
Jack_71
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the reply....

a follow up question if i may.

the card that i put in there, can it be a 32bit card as you might install in a 32bit older desktop system or do i need the longer 64bit pcix card?

i am having trouble finding anything other then the normal 32bit pci slot cards.

thanks
Jay Hoyer
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

We needed to add a combo card (Firewire and USB) in a DL360 G3 running W2K3. We found that if we used a card with a VIA chipset, the server would not boot. We ended up getting a NEC combo card with a TI chipset. I don't know if this helps much, but on our DL360 G3's we only have the one 64-bit PCI-X slot as we use redundant power supplies.
tomasz.puchalski
Valued Contributor

Jack - You can try 32bit card in 64bit slot
please read :
www.cs.unc.edu/Research/stc/FAQs/pci-overview.pdf
Jack_71
Occasional Advisor

update:

have tried multiple cards (32-bit) and so far none have been recognized. when any of the cards i have tried are installed into non-hot swap slots the led for the slot turns amber instead of the desired green.

can anyone shed more light onto my dilemma? this seems to be a bit harder then i think it should be.

jack
Greg Kirkpatrick

I have a similar problem with a ProLiant ML330 G3.

I have just ordered a SIIG 3-Port FireWire (2-800/1-400) & 5-Port USB 2.0 PCI Host Adptr RoHS, part # NN-8US212-S2. It is supposed to be Universal PCI, for both 3.3V and 5V, and for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

I purchased it online, from www.provantage.com -- but there are several sellers of this.

I will update on the success or failure.
Greg Kirkpatrick

The SIIG card worked like a charm!

I now have an Iomega 750GB external hard drive connected via FireWire 800. When the same drive was connected via the built-in USB 1.1 ports, it took over 26 hours to back up 60GB of data. Now it does the job in 4 hours.