BladeSystem Forums have moved here
To make BladeSystem information easier to find, we have moved the BladeSystem forums here, to Servers and Operating Systems.
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need to replace 6 146 GB HDs ( RAID 5 ) with 300 GB drives on dl380G6. Whats is the best route?

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Need to replace 6 146 GB HDs ( RAID 5 ) with 300 GB drives on dl380G6. Whats is the best route?

[ Edited ]

Can I replace 146GB with 300GB without reconfiguring RAID in ORCA or ACU and grow old volume to its new full capacity roughly about 1.5TB?

I have attempted to work with HP techs to help format an ation plan to replace SIX 146 SAS drives part of RAID 5 with 300GB SAS drives, at first they had me update the firmware to latest version, which didn't do anything, second tech suggest to re-enable logical drive, in doing so I would no longer be in position to insert old 146 GB drives and go back to original state. This is one of the requirement as a failback option.

I have 590GB worth of data, which has been backed up. but I need additional safety net to fall back on incase restore bombs out on me.

We do not have a BBWC cache module and thats where things are tricky for me.

If I had BBWC or FBWC module, I am being told by HP Tech support, I can start swapping out one hard drive at a time, until 1st one had rebuilt completely and insert second and so forth, this will allow me to expand the array from 685 GB to 1.5 TB.

Any suggestion, step-by-step documentation or links to accomplish this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

DK

P.S. This thread has been moved from Community Feedback & Suggestions to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP Forums Moderator