ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752805 Members
5297 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Need to replace 6 146 GB HDs ( RAID 5 ) with 300 GB drives on dl380G6. Whats is the best route?

DeeKaye

Need to replace 6 146 GB HDs ( RAID 5 ) with 300 GB drives on dl380G6. Whats is the best route?

Can I replace 146GB with 300GB without reconfiguring RAID in ORCA or ACU and grow old volume to its new full capacity roughly about 1.5TB?

I have attempted to work with HP techs to help format an ation plan to replace SIX 146 SAS drives part of RAID 5 with 300GB SAS drives, at first they had me update the firmware to latest version, which didn't do anything, second tech suggest to re-enable logical drive, in doing so I would no longer be in position to insert old 146 GB drives and go back to original state. This is one of the requirement as a failback option.

I have 590GB worth of data, which has been backed up. but I need additional safety net to fall back on incase restore bombs out on me.

We do not have a BBWC cache module and thats where things are tricky for me.

If I had BBWC or FBWC module, I am being told by HP Tech support, I can start swapping out one hard drive at a time, until 1st one had rebuilt completely and insert second and so forth, this will allow me to expand the array from 685 GB to 1.5 TB.

Any suggestion, step-by-step documentation or links to accomplish this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

DK

P.S. This thread has been moved from Community Feedback & Suggestions to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP Forums Moderator