3346 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netware 5.1 on dl380 G3

Fredrik Ylander
Occasional Contributor

Netware 5.1 on dl380 G3

Hi !

Installed the first G3 server today into our NDS Tree. Nw5.1 SP5, cpqsp 6.10A.
After installing, the following text apears on the console:
Error: NCP Send Failed 16 10
Error: ***Unable to communicate with server xx.xx.xx.xx!***

Read about this on the Novell Supportsite: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10074053.htm
But i dont think i understand it, can someone please tell me what to do ?

//Fredrik
4 REPLIES 4
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Fredrik;

I've tried this a couple of times in our lab on a G2 (same NIC chipset) without any problems.

That TID from Novell seems to be suggesting using another NIC in the server to bypass the problem with the Broadcom chipset on the NC7xx NIC. In my opinion, that is not a satisfactory resolve.

Check out the TID at http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10076183.htm

The same switches for B57.lan will work with Q57.lan. You may find it helpful.

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Fredrik Ylander
Occasional Contributor

Hi !

Thnx for replying !
Are you using the q57.lan driver on a G2 ? We are using the N100.LAN on our G2:s, anyway... we solved the timesync issue with NTP instead of NCP.

//Fredrik
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Fredrik;

Glad you figured it out.

The DL360 G2 has a Broadcom NIC on it and uses Q57.lan.

Some of the other model G2 servers still use and Intel Chipset and N100.lan.

Basically, the driver won't load unless you have the right one. Your G2's must have the Intel-based NIC.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Roger Zan

The Q57.LAN driver is total crap! I have tested it and it has serious bugs, such as ethernet counters never incrementing in the event of a failure or cable being pulled. Some versions of this driver cause all sorts of communication losses, as seen by continous timesync established and timesync lost messages scrolling all over the server console. Use the NC7131 NIC instead, since it uses the N1000.LAN driver, which works well.
What's up