1752794 Members
6141 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Card - PCI Hotplug

Christian Hagen
Occasional Contributor

Network Card - PCI Hotplug

I have been given an Proliant ML370 G2 server that has a few kinks in it. I know I don't run a supported OS like Windows NT/2000/2003, but rather XP. There are two main concerns with this server (that has been software-altered by a computer shop to run more like a PC) that was there even before the alteration: The Network Card says a "Network Cable is disconnected" (Hoping this is right, as I view in Norwegian and translate on my own to English), and it's quite slow. In System properties, it's said that my PCI-memory controller and RAID-controller isn't installed (Maybe nothing to do with my problems).
Having read some of the manuals regarding this server on this site, I came to recognize the PCI Hotplug ability. I had read shortly about this earlier, but not the implications. The Network Card is located in PCI segment 5 which I now believe is a PCI Hotplug. But the LED on it doesn't light. This made me think that maybe the Hotplug software wasn't installed. A step-by-step explanation of this would be nice, or guiding me to the manual or place in the manual that refers to the installation of such if that's possible.
If need be, I have a print-to-file of my system and have a download of HijackThis (some other forums like the logs from this program very much, I noticed), and will post this if need be. (Need counseling on how to use the HijackThis to make it useful to anyone though)

Will provide any information I can to help get this server to run like it should when having a 1,266 GHz processor with 1536 Mb RAM (Moving the mouse shouldn't cause the system to use almost 95% resources, should it?) and to free up a USB-port by connecting Internet to the Network Card where it truly belongs.
5 REPLIES 5
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Christian,

1.Whats the model of the ethernet card?
2.Its not a good practice to install Client OS on a server in the sense the OS cannot make full use of the server hardware and vice-versa.
3.Hijack-this is perhaps used on desktops.

SRH
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Whats the role of this server?
Christian Hagen
Occasional Contributor

1 - The Network Card is an HP NC3163 Fast Ethernet NIC

2 - This server is used as stand-alone, meaning I use it as a regular PC.

Oddity: I have to connect my screen to the network Card or it won't work
Christian Hagen
Occasional Contributor

Somehow I managed to get the NIC to work. I have had it de-activated, since I didn't think it had to be on when it wasn't working. Thought I'd try one last time the lo-tech way to see if it might work. I have two possibilities of attaching the RJ-45 plug from my cable modem to the computer. One port on an extension card, and one in a built-in port. I have always thought the extension card was the way to go, even if I found it a bit odd that my screen should be connected to it too. I put the plug in the extension card and activated the NIC. No response, it still said network cable disconnected. De-activated again and put the plug in the other port and activated. WHAT?! IT WORKS!! JIPPI!
Now, to tackle the slow speed of the CPU, but that's another forum.
Christian Hagen
Occasional Contributor

Look at above reply.