1751712 Members
5089 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Network Cards Teaming

andreamorelli
Occasional Visitor

Network Cards Teaming

Hi everyone, we already setup ou VMware infrastructure on a HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 Server.

On this server we have 4 dedicated network cards.

Our goal would be to get  2 logical  cards, each one already bridged/teamed with another card. 

Is possible doing that from the HP server Bios/Intelligent Provisioning/iLO 4 or we have to configure the 2-2 bridged/teamed interfaces directly from the switch?

Thank you all for the support.

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

From the BIOS or iLO or IP, its not possible to do Teaming.

It has to be done from OS level or Switch level (if the switch supports).

We have HP ProLiant Networking Software to perform this in Windows 2008 or earlier.

In Windows 2012 this feature is inbuilt from Microsoft.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

andreamorelli
Occasional Visitor

Thank you!

So assuming i have installed on the HP server a Vmware Esxi infrastructure,

if i create a new vm with Windows 2008 with HP Proliant Networking Software (or Windows 2012 with the feature already inbuilt from Microsoft), will i be able to see in the vmware ecosystem a "new" network adapter (the teaming of 2 nics) which i created using Windows 2008 with HP Proliant Networking Software or Windows 2012 with the feature already inbuilt from Microsoft?

Not sure if i better ask to vmware support or you can answer me, since im am probaly goin with the Windows 2008 with HP Proliant Networking Software option u mentioned.

However thanks for your help.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I am not a VMware expert, but when you install Windows as a VM, the VM only sees a virtual network and not the actual network card.

As I understand you need to configure NIC Teaming in VMware.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004088

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello, If you want to do teaimn under VM, you need to you internal OS tools. HP tools will not help, are hardware layer is hidden by vmware... Btw - why do you want teaming in your VM?

Best regards

Jan