1752801 Members
5309 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network Configuration utility hangs when configuring teaming

Mike Blaszczak
Advisor

Network Configuration utility hangs when configuring teaming

I have several HP DL370G6 servers, each with a four-port gigabit ethernet card. Each server is connected to a Juniper EX4200 switch. I have successfully configured teaming with LACP on five of these servers.

On the sixth server, I find that configuring teaming with the HP Network Configuration Utility causes the utility to run for a very long time. Sometimes, it hangs; sometimes, it gives a message that says "network teaming failed".

What's wrong with this server? Why am I unable to create a teamed network adapter on this server, while identically configured servers have no problem? How do I get better diagnostics from the HP Network Configuration Utility?
5 REPLIES 5
ess
Super Advisor

Re: Network Configuration utility hangs when configuring teaming

hi
update your system with maintenance dvd and update your lan card.
Mike Blaszczak
Advisor

If the problem was out of date firmware (as I believe you're suggesting), wouldn't the teaming utility give a more meaningful error?
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi Mike,

If you are using Windows, you can check the teaming utility logs in c:\cpqsystem\log.

Perhaps you will find something there... but in most cases the resolution is to update the NIC firmware and/or the teaming software.

good luck, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!
Mike Blaszczak
Advisor

In the c:\cpqsystem\log directory of the involved server, I find only files related to the installation of various drivers and firmware for HP components. I'm sorry that my question wasn't clear: what I'm looking for is a log explaining why the network teaming configuration failed, and why it takes so long.

The machines which are able to create a teamed network adapter and the machine which fails are identically configured, so I don't think the problem is with drivers or firmware.

All machines are running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition x64. They have version 4.0.527.13786 of the NP NC375i driver installed, and they're both using version 10.00.0.12 of the HP Network Configuration Utility.

Are these not the newest versions of the drivers and utility?
Mike Blaszczak
Advisor

I downgraded from the Windows Update-provided drivers back to the drivers that HP makes publicly available. This was time-consuming, and ended up not helping.

I ended up re-installing Windows. Luckily, this is a machine that's not yet in production. It's a pity that the HP Network Configuration Utility did not provide any sort of diagnostics or logging to help me find a less drastic solution to the problem, but I'm now up and running with the teamed adapters.