5894 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Teaming (2 dual port onboard NICs) DL380 G6

Techieguy_1
Occasional Advisor

Network Teaming (2 dual port onboard NICs) DL380 G6

Hi Guys

I am going to have a file server, is it reccomened to team the adapters, using one port from each dual port nics in case of a nic failure, would i achieven any bandwith/throughput increase as a result of this?
thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Taifur
Respected Contributor

HI,

Basically teaming is recommended for network redundency, if one nic fail other nic would be availbale for network communication.

Cheers/
Taifur
Techieguy_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for quick reply, would i gain any increased perfomance.
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Bandwidth increase depends on NIC card as well as switch port, but fault tolerance would be increased by teaming.

If it helps, assign point

Cheers/
Taifur
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

It depends of the team mode, if you configure each Gig NIC port to a different switch, you can get up to 2Gb Tx and 1Gb Rx, using TLB mode. If you connect both NICs to the same switch you can configure port aggregation and get the 2Gb on both directions, however the redundancy will be reduced and will no survive to a switch failure.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

In additions to information in previous posts :
Mind you : possible bandwith is increased as from the server point of view.

Most TLB (transmit load balancing) wil use only a single port/NIC for a sourceMAC/destionationMAC datastream.
Teaming will result in sending data to PC1 using NIC-1 and NIC2 for PC2.
That is for a single data-stream (point-to-point link) you may not (probably never) get 2Gb throughput! but just 1Gb max.

But when multiple endpoints (PC's) are connected to this server, only then =total= throughput may reach the 2Gbit.

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Indeed, apart from getting other streams "out of the way" teaming/trunking/aggregation/bonding will not improve the performance of a single flow/stream/connection. If you need a *single* flow/stream/connection to go faster than 1 GbE then you need to upgrade to 10GbE. I presently know of only one teaming/trunking/aggregation/bonding mode that would accelerate a single flow/stream/connection and that would round-robin mode in Linux bonding - and that *will* start to re-order packets, which TCP will "deal with" but not very well as the re-ordering gets worse.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows