4226 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network adapter not showing in HP Network Configuration utility

Nigel Hunter
Occasional Advisor

Network adapter not showing in HP Network Configuration utility

Hi

We have a DL380 G5 giving problems with the HP NCU.

We have two disabled NICs and the following are enabled -

Product - NIC2 SAB - HP NC360T PCIe DP Gigabit Server Adapter - does not appear in HP Network Configuration Utility

Heartbeat - NIC4_Heartbeat - HP NC373i MultiFunction Gigabit Server Adapter #2 - does appear in HP Network Configuration Utility

Why could this be ?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Nigel Hunter
Occasional Advisor

Here are the relevant version numbers just in case it helps.

OS - Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (64-bit)

Driver details for the PCIe NIC are shown below

Intel 08/07/2009 version 9.12.36.0

Driver details for the embedded NIC are shown below

Hewlett-Packard Company 28/01/2009 version 4.8.5.0

I can't help feeling that there's a clue in the Microsoft driver being there. Is an HP driver needed to allow teaming ?

Or is it still going to be something else ?

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel Hunter
Occasional Advisor

Update. It isn't the Intel driver causing the issue because the latest version of the driver available for download is actually the same as the existing one.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Nigel, do you have any Antivirus software installed? It might be a firewall not letting the NCU see your NICs, if you have Symantec End Point, I├В┬┤d recommend to go to the Hidden Network devices on device manager and disable teffer2 or it can be done from the protocol stack under the network connections, there are some other software/drivers that can cause this.
Nigel Hunter
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I've checked and there is no issue with AV blocking access between the NIC and the NCU.
jnicklous
Occasional Contributor

Are the two nic ports enabled? The two nic links that you want to team need to be in a connected state for NCU to see them.
Jonathon Page

I am also having the same issue.

Did you get this resolved?

Thanks.
Nigel.H

Hi, I'm the OP but I couldn't remember my password :-)

Yes thanks JNicklous, both NICs are enabled. The PCIe NIC that does not show in the NCU is actually the 'main' one so I know it works. A Windows network diag showed no issues and accepting the offer to reset the card made no difference.

No Jonathon, I still have no resolution.

Perhaps you would like to add your own configuration into the thread as the more information we have the better thanks.

I've seen this same problem on another same spec server (they're both SQL cluster nodes).

I've also seen the same hardware with teaming working ok but I can't really compare because it has Windows Server 2003 so everything looks different from driver versions to NIC configurations.

I've also verified that if I enabled the second embedded NC373i it shows up in the NCU.

Although fairly recent, the NCU isn't the latest version but looking at the change logs nothing that has been released since applies to this specific card or OS.

Any suggestions from others would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Nigel.H

Rolling back to the previous version on the HP site has allowed us to see the NIC in the NCU and to team it. It may work for others too but, of course, I can't warrant the change and they do so at their own risk.
Khuram Imtiaz