cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network card problem

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Network card problem

I have a Proliant 1600 with problems with the network card that is going down.

I keep seeing this message in the event logs:
Event ID: 4105
Date: 9/4/2001
Time: 9:28:28 AM
User: N/A
Computer: NAMN
Description: CpqNF31 : Network link is down. Please check your cabling. See documentation for more information or contact your service provider.
Event ID: 16
Time: 9:28:28 AM
Description: The device driver, CpqNF31, reported a warning: Network Adapter Link Down (Slot 0, Port 1)

After this 2 Warnings is it always followed by another message saying the link is back up again.
Event ID: 4106
Time: 9:28:30 AM
Description: CpqNF31 : Network link has been restored.

This 3 messages happens every minute or sometimes 2-3 times every minute.

Is my NIC on the way out or do I have another problem? The cabling and hub are both fine
I have tried to set the network card to 100 Mbit instead of Auto, I also have tried both Half and full duplex but it is still the same problem. I have also installed the latest drivers from Compaqs site but the same problem exists.
Background: Earlier have we had 10 Mbit Hub and it works great with that one, when I switch to the 100 Mbit hubb this CpqNF31 message comes all the time. I have tried to switch back to the old 10 Mbit hubb and then it works great. When I switch back again to 100 Mbit the error massage comes back all the time.
I have another Proliant 1600 on the same network but it works good, they are working at the same hub. I have also checked the cable and the hub and it works good both with 10 and 100 Mbit.
I have also insalled the latest SSD (2.22a) And the latest NIC drivers.
Is it my Network card that is going to crash??
I have seen this problem on many different messageboards on Internet but never a solution to this problem.

Best Regards jonas Larsson
1 REPLY
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Re: Network card problem

If this is the Imbedded NIC on Procesor Board I suggest running Server Diagnostics "Prompted Single devise" Test via System Partition saved to DIAGLOG on a Diskette OR if you do not have a System Partition download SP16335 to create Server Diagnostics Diskette to run via Diskette -- Then call (800) OKCOMPAQ ((800) 652-6672 explain problem then E-Mail this Report Text to with Case # in Subject (If Server Support TSE needs it)

Hope this helps,
There are some people who live in a dream world