ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753637 Members
5551 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network problem Proliant 1600

Roland Heeling

Network problem Proliant 1600

Our Proliant 1600 works fine, but in the event log from Windows NT 4.0 and in the configuration utility network problem are seen.

In the eventlog, every 10 seconds the warning "network link is down, check your cabling" is displayed, two seconds later the notice "network link is restored" is displayed.

In the Compaq network configuration utility", link status interupts almost 20000 per day.

But we don't notice any network problems working on that server, i think the error is not true, this because I changed the network cable and put in on another switch.

I upgrade de network driver to the latest version.

Anywhone an idea? (if you understand this very bad english :-) )

Thans,
Roland
7 REPLIES 7
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Network problem Proliant 1600

Have you tried a different port on the switch. Have you tried a plugging this into a hub or different brand of switch.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Roland Heeling

[quote]
Have you tried a different port on the switch. Have you tried a plugging this into a hub or different brand of switch.
[/quote]

Yes, tried an 3com switch and a compaq netelligent hub, makes no differents.

Thanks,
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Sorry, must have missed that. When did this start happening? Has it always happened? It looks like a problem with the nic.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

How are the NICs configured? Are you setting speed & duplex, or are they set at Auto/Auto? I have seen instances where the switch has the speed set, and the NIC has the speed set, there is just enough of a mismatch on the timing to cause these type of errors. Try setting to Auto/Auto & monitor event log to see if this corrects the issue.
Roland Heeling

Sorry for the late response, i've had a holiday for a few weeks.

it makes no difference wat the speed or duplex is, it is set on auto/auto, but i've tried, 10mbit ot 100mbit and half or full duplex.

Still the messages are the same.
Gregory Lee_1
Regular Advisor

Roland,

You say the NIC is set to AUTO. Is the switch also set to auto? If not, you may still have a Duplex mismatch which would result in intermittent connectivity problems.

Good Luck,
Greg
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

It looks like a false message from Insight Manager. You may need to upgrade to a newer version