cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problem in a guest domain cotroller

Almaz
Frequent Visitor

Network problem in a guest domain cotroller

On a DL360 Gen 8 deployed Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. On the Hyper-V server deployed guest domain controller Windows Server 2012 R2. Guest server uses a virtual switch (Microsoft). Response time the guest domain controller is more than 100 mc. By the way, on a another guest server (no DC) on the same host response time less 1 mc.

This problem occurs only DL360 Gen8+Hyper-V Server 2012 R2+DC. For example, on a DL 380 G7 all right.

On all servers updated to SPP 2014.02

The problem can be solved if disabled VMQ (Virtual Machine Queue) on a Virtual Switch.
I think, the problem relates a Bradcom NIC.

Is possible to find a solutin without disable VMQ?

5 REPLIES
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Network problem in a guest domain cotroller

Are you using the latest HP drivers on the host system?  What NIC is on your Gen8... the 331FLR or is it something else?

There was a problem with a previous Broadcom multifunction NIC driver that was causing issues with Hyper-V guests, but I never saw that on my Gen8 boxes, only on my G7 host systems... the Gen8 was using a different NIC driver.

Are you using the Microsoft network load balancing on the host system, and if so, how do you have it configured?  All ports going into the same switch or different ones?  Hyper-V balancing mode, or some other switch-assisted mode?

Are you using the same network port for the guest machines and also the host machine's network, or do you have a separate NIC assigned just for host communication?

I guess you could always try deleting and recreating the virtual switch and see if that makes any difference.

Almaz
Frequent Visitor

On the DL 360 Gen 8 have 4-port 331FLR Adapter. All Drivers were update to latest version.

This problem was with previos version drivers for Hyper-V 2012 R. With Hyper-V 2012 all right.

2 port of 4 are teaming to virtual switch for guest machine, 2 - to dedicated virtual switch for networks of host machine (manage, live migration etc.). I don't use NLB.

I recreated virtual switch, but without positive results.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I guess I'd check that the 2 ports that are teamed for use by Hyper-V guests is in Hyper-V mode. If they're both going into the same switch then it *should* still work even if it's in "address hash" or "dynamic" mode.

If they go to different switches (which is how I do it so we can survive switch failures), then Hyper-V mode is really your only option, otherwise you get odd pathing issues.

Anyway, it seems like the host config is probably okay since another VM on the same host has decent response times... I'd look closer at the one with issues and try disabling the Windows firewall to see if that makes any difference.

From what I've seen with other issues, it seems like Broadcom's VMQ support is a little spotty anyway... the bug in that driver for the multifunction NICs in particular. If disabling it gets it running better, I'd just do that and then try it again when a new driver comes out to see if they fixed it.
Almaz
Frequent Visitor

2 ports that are teamed for use by Hyper-V guests is in Hyper-V mode. They are both going into the same switch.

I tried disable firewall not saw difference.

VMQ is disabled so far.

I think, you are right. No choice as to wait for new updates.

Thank you.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

This might seem a little weird, but you could try getting the latest Broadcom drivers. The 331FLR is the BCM5719 chipset.

The latest version on the Broadcom site is 16.2.0.4b (dated Nov 2013) though, compared to the HP version 16.4.0.1.

Or for that matter you could download an older version of the HP driver and install that to see if it makes any difference. Sometimes the new drivers have their own fun bugs.