ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753845 Members
7679 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network speed issues Windows 2003 SP2 - PSP 7.7-7.8

Colin Steen

Network speed issues Windows 2003 SP2 - PSP 7.7-7.8

Starting to see instances of slow data transfer from server to worksations (speed ok PC to server). At one site rolling back the proliant support pack to version 7.6 looks to have tesolved the issue.
All servers are fresh build windows 2003 std R2 SP2. orignally prepped with 7.7, however 7.8 does not resolve.

testing further, but just wondering is anyone else had encountered this...yet

already applied recommend microsoft reg fixes as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594/en-us
7 REPLIES 7
Warren J Lloyd

I have a customer with this issue. As yet I have no fix for it. I'm told I had to wait for the network card makers (HP) to realise new drivers.

I've done the reg stuff mentioned in MS Article 936594, but it actually made things work. Loss of internet connection was the main issue.
As the moment I'm just sitting tight until Microsoft and/ or HP come up with a fix.

More info here, but nothing useful. For me anyway :(
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2007/04/24/common-networking-issues-after-applying-windows-server-2003-sp2-on-sbs.aspx

Colin Steen

The temporary fix is to rollback to PSP 7.6
I tried rolling back only the NIC driver, but this did not solve the issue (although i did'nt get a chance to reboot after applying the driver)

We have had this on 4 new DL380 G5 servers.

All sorted by rolling back to PSP 7.6
(ensuring that you allow newer files to be overwritten) followed by a reboot.

NOTE: only workstations that were experiencing the slow (from) server file transfers were all DELL and all running at 100mbps (HP Servers all 1GB non teamed using a single port)
Warren J Lloyd

I don't have PSP installed. I take it you mean ProLiant Support Pack?
Colin Steen

Yeah the Proliant support pack.
If you server is not an HP, but you are experiencing the issue on an HP NIC, then I'd try rolling back the NIC driver to the version that shipped with PSP 7.6

(download the PSP and extract it, then you can pick out the driver update exe for your card - if applicable)

If you're using a supported proliant server, then you should install the PSP to update all of the other components in your system.

Warren J Lloyd

This is what confusing, when I go to the downloads for this server (ML150 G3)
It's not in an option to download. I'll check to see if there is a disk next time I go to there offices.
Colin Steen

PSP is only available for ML 3xx 5xx and 7xx
as well as the other proliant models DL etc

I plan a call to HP to notify them of the issues I had and how they were temp resolved. Perhaps this will lead to a new driver release that will help you?

lets hope so!!
Warren J Lloyd

OK cheers. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'll have to roll back the NIC driver out of hours. The current driver version is 7.96.0.0 (01/12/2004) The card is HP NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter.

Thanks again.