cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking on ProLiant BL25p with 64-bit RHEL4 U3

Barry Lowe
Advisor

Networking on ProLiant BL25p with 64-bit RHEL4 U3

I am experiencing continual problems with networking on Proliant blades. I am installing 64-bit Linux on a blade and finding that the NICs it detects are not behaving mutually exclusively. The installation detects 4 NICs but for simplicity I am only configuring the first two - eth0 and eth1, and giving them both a different IP address. When I ping the IP addresses from my PC they respond normally. Now, when I take eth0 down I am finding that eth1 stops responding to remote pings, even though the OS reports it as up. If I then bring eth0 back up, eth1 still does not respond.

I've experimented with running both the native tg3 driver and compiled bcm5700 driver supplied with the PSP, but using either gives the same issue.

Delving further (not sure how relevant this is to the main issue) I have noticed that after pinging if I use 'arp -a' the mac addresses associated with both IP addresses are the same.

Can anyone advise on how best to further debug or even solve the issue. Thanks.
3 REPLIES
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re: Networking on ProLiant BL25p with 64-bit RHEL4 U3

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that NIC1 & NIC2 represent two ports of one dual-port LAN adapter.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Barry Lowe
Advisor

Thanks for your responses.

Having tried the same install/config on a DL145, which also has a dual port network card, I'm inclined to believe the dual port is the issue.

When eth0 and eth1 both have a physical network connection they operate independently and the issue described does not occur (it's easier to see this in a rack than in a blade enclosure). It is only when eth1 is unplugged that the issue occurs. For some reason eth0 is answering the eth1 ping requests (which explains why my arp table contains one mac address for two IP addresses). The same is not true if I disconnect eth0 and leave eth1 connected, leading me to conclude that eth0 is somehow configured as a master. Could this be controlled by the NIC driver as it is not something I have consciously configured? If so, how do I configure the card so the two ports are independent? Thanks.