5864 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New Array on ML570

Tim Wescott_3
Advisor

New Array on ML570

Hello

I have added some new disks to a ML570 and the lights flash on the front so I know there is power, but then they all go off.

Using the Windows configuration utility does not show the disks, so is it possible to create a new array through the Windows interface or does it require a reboot and then enter the configuration section before Windows starts? (It is a live server which is why I have not tried this yet.)

Thanks
Tim
8 REPLIES 8
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

The array configuration has to be done on the server boot screen when it reads the array controller then it prompts you to hit the function key ,there you need to go and configure the array.

I'm dont think you can create the array without taking the server down.

Rgds

HGN
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Tim,
Do you have SmartArray controller on this server?
If you have SmartArray controller and SCSI drives you added are hot-pluggable I think you don't need restart.
"Using the Windows configuration utility" - you mean HP Array configuration utility or something else?
Tim Wescott_3
Advisor

It is a SmartArray 6400 controller, but I can't find anywhere to create a new array in the HP Array Configuration Utility.

The server has an iLO card and I can dial in from home, so I will reboot it and enter the configuration during the boot-up.

Thanks for your help
Tim
Tim Wescott_3
Advisor

I should have also said that the HP Array Config Util did not show the new disks and due to the lack of activity lights on the disk I think it needs restarting so the controller can re-scan the bus.

If I have any problems after the reboot I'll post again on this message.
Tim Wescott_3
Advisor

I was unable to create a new volume by pressing F8 at the appropriate time as the utility said there were no spare disks. The disks were added to 'Cage B' that did not previously have any disks installed, but the disk light did flash a couple of time when inserted.

I can't get to the machine tonight, but does anyone have any ideas as to why the system is not seeing the disks? They are 2 x 300Gb and 4 x 72Gb. Cage A is also fully loaded with 2 x 36Gb and 4 x 72Gb.

Thanks
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Tim,
Do you sure that cage "B" connected to SmartArray controller?
Jaragon
Frequent Advisor

tim try looking at the cables if you added that 6400 controller maybe it{s just hooked up to cage a (they have separate scsi cables) maybe it's plugged in to your regular scsi port try hooking it up to the sa 6400, you woul be able to create the array online with the array config util, however a restar is required so windos can see it and you can format from disk manager, if you want the latest util will also allow you to expand the array and then extend it so you have a bigger drive you'll need a microsoft tool after doing this to let windows see the bigger array

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/operations/diskpartnoteonIT.mspx
Tim Wescott_3
Advisor

Yes, 99% sure as we have 10 identical servers and some have the o/s drives in cage 'a' and the data drives in cage 'b'. As far as I know the person who implemented this machine just choose to put the six disks in 'a' for no other reason apart from he could!!!