7242 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New Commer- SCSI problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
ml989

New Commer- SCSI problems

Hello all, this is my first time ever setting up a server from scratch so any help would be appreciated. The server is a proliant ml350 running Windows Server 2000. I used the HP OS assistant disk that came with the original documents to install the OS. The installation went smooth and installed everything and some extra Compaq/HP software. The server uses scsi hard drives. I have never used scsi before and need some assistance in the area. Ok the server has an internal logical scsi drive that windows detects and it is the c drive. There are four other scsi hard drives installed on the front of the server(they look like they are designed to inserted and taken out very easily, just trying to give you a mental image) that windows does not detect however one of the Compaq programs detects 1 logical drive and 4 other drives (I am not sure what they are called) So my questions are, how do I access the four other hard drives? Does windows automatically detect them and give them a drive letter, or do I need a separate software for that? Will I be able to store data for users documents on them? Most of you are probably laughing at me right now but like I said I have never worked with scsi drives before. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor
Solution

Run disk management from computer management, administrative tools found in control panel. Once you reach disk management, click action and scan for disks. It will search for drives and help you set them up.

If the drives are connected to a array controller then you will have to setup the raid with the bootable SmartStart cd.

Hope this helps.

Mark

e4services
Honored Contributor

The 4 Hot Plug drives int he front are most probably attached to an internal RAID controller. THe RAID controller must be configured to allocate physical drives to logical drives in order for the OS to use them. THe fact that you do not see any logical drives in the OS tell me that no functioning local drives are configured.
You will need to enter the RAID controllers BIOS setup and clear and reconfigure to use the drive in a RAID logical drive in some manor, i.e. grouped together to firm one RAID5 logical drive, RAID1 mirrored sets or 4- individual RAID0 logical drives
Hot Swap Hard Drives
MStoumba
Frequent Advisor

I'm hoping you don't have this server in production yet. First you should go to the HP support site and download all bios updates for the server and bios and SW updates for the raid controller. Enter the raid controller config and build your raid set as needed. If this a general server then create a raid 5. Now go and install your windows server. You could expand from where your at but it will tale forever.