108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New DL380 G6 - Install OS from USB?

SOLVED
Go to solution
T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

New DL380 G6 - Install OS from USB?

I have a DL380 G6 with the drive pack. How do I install the OS without a CDrom? I am playing with the HP usb boot utility, but havent had any luch.
6 REPLIES 6
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

USE ILO, Integrated Lights Out. If have the Advance License you can log to ILO and use virtual media to mount a CD or an ISO image and then reboot the server, and it is going to boot from it. If you don't have the advance license try the following 60 Days trial license:

3Q9CJ-RCPVY-J39N5-5NKCT-SH4ZH

Login to the ILO Web Interface, click on virtual Media, select Virtual CD-ROM/DVD-ROM and locate the media drive or browse an the ISO image. Do not close this window, go to virtual power and restart the server, open remote console and keep going. If you don't have ILO Configure and you don't know how to do it, let us know.
T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

It took the key and I Have the applet open, but the server doesnt seem to detect anything.

Is there anything else I need to do?
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor
Solution

1- Select Virtual Devices
2 - Then Virtual Media
3 - On the Virtual Media Screen you have to insert the CD or ISO Image in the workstation.
Then, you have to select Local Media Drive option for Virtual CD-ROM and click the connect button. or Local Image File, browse the ISO Image and click on "Create Disk Image". You should see a green LED next to the device which indicates it is connected
Then, we have to reboot the server using the virtual power option, without closing the Virtual Media screen, otherwise you will disconnect it.

Please make sure you don't missed any step, that you click on connect, make sure it was green indicating it was connected and do not close the virtual media screen and reboot.
T. Cooper
Frequent Advisor

I used my ISO and it worked great. Thank you.
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Excellent!!
Wayne Macdonald
Frequent Visitor

You can also load an ISO from your own C Drive or any other local drive - It is slow but works great