ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748067 Members
5459 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New DL380G3 High Fan Noise Never Abates

CA1022951

New DL380G3 High Fan Noise Never Abates

The fans stay at high speed even after the NetWare 5.1 OS loads. The system BIOS firware has been flashed to the very latest. The HP/Compaq Proliant Service Pack 6.40a has been installed. The CPQHLTH.NLM loads. Ambient temperature and ventilation is adequate as it's in an office space.
3 REPLIES 3
CA1020966

Re: New DL380G3 High Fan Noise Never Abates

I am having the same issue on a server with Netware 6.0

-Andrew Postma
acpostma@tid.org
CA1020966

I came across these two articles (links below) that led me to investigate an issue with SW2 System Maintenance Switch. I looked inside and found that SW2 switch S3 was in the "on" position. The default was the "off" position (like the rest of the switches). I turned that switch off on my DL360G3 and the fan speed noise was significantly reduced. My theory is that the switch overides the ability for the management software to control the fan speed. We had the redundant power supplies put into the servers by HP, and possibly they use this switch to ensure proper operation? All three of the servers that came in our order had the switch turned on. On one server, we had high fan speed untill the OS (Windows 2003) was finished loading. After the management apps were loaded, the fan speed lowered. On the Netware box, the fan speed remained high until we set the switch to "off".

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EL030207_CW01

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EL030207_CW01.xml&dt=3
CA1084481

I have the same issue with a DL380 G3. I could not locate a SW2 switch as described on the DL360. Also, you apparently can not use the same firmware either.

Anyone found a solution for the 380s?