New Discussion юеВ

Re: New DL380G5 will not boot Windows after BIOS upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

New DL380G5 will not boot Windows after BIOS upgrade

Hi,

We just purchased 4 new DL380 G5s for a project. Two have 8 GB and 1 processor (test and dev) and two have 16 GB and 2 processors(prod). I dumped our standard Windows 2003 R2 ES image on the test and dev servers and all is good. I updated the BIOS to the lastest we had (not HP's latest) and all was good still.

I repeated for the prod servers (again, 16 GB in these and 2 processors, but otherwise identical) and after updating the BIOS, the servers would no longer boot to Windows. They would try, then switch to a white flashing top left curser screen for a few seconds then reboot. Both prod servers do this. I reverted back to the old BIOS and they are fine. I downloaded the latest greatest BIOS from HP, and the same problem.

The only difference between these two and the two test/dev boxes is the RAM and number of processors. All else is identical including a QLogic PCIe HBA that is installed in all four of them.

Anyone have any thoughts?
19 REPLIES 19
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Did try upgrading all firmware of all you're devices??? before upgrading maybe you're having an incompatibilite with BIOS firmware and a device?

Dan
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hmmm - everything is up to date per our Software Repository; but I guess HP could have released some new firmware. The agents and such are the latest - that I know (7.9), but I will check the firmware.

Nelson
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

ya i know there a few item that software update will not keep up to date exemples,HArd Drive,NIC,ect...

Dan
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Nelson,
SWAP the processors & then try the BIOS update.

;) Regards.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

have you try loading windows in safe mode?

try loading windows with one Proc at a time also

- you can try Clear NVRAM (know the procedure├В┬б)

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

I have seen this happening quite a bit. Try installing the processors individually with the latest system ROM. It should boot fine.

Then try to install the 2nd CPU in slot 1 & vice versa on the latest system ROM. It should work fine.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks, I will try swapping the processors as suggested.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Lets assume for a minute that I work for a huge company - a company big enough to go out and buy 200 of this dual-cpu server in one shot and deploy them. Now, lets assume that I we deploy many of the these dual-cpu servers to remote sites located 100's of miles away where there are no IT admins around - only users.

Are you suggesting that would have to go to each one of these 200 server and pop out the CPU just to perform a BIOS upgrade? Especially considering that many of these servers would be in remote locations?

Surely there has to be a better way to upgrade the BIOS of servers than to go to each server an pop out the CPU.

The is madness :)
Any thoughts?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

So you saying the "one CPU at a time worked" ??

:) Regards.