1752578 Members
4971 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New DL380p - System Temperature & Fan Speeds

Stephen Barriball
Occasional Advisor

New DL380p - System Temperature & Fan Speeds

I've just upgraded to a new DL380p, the fans seem to be running fairly high and creating a lot of noise compared to my old machine.

I firstly upgraded the bios and ensured that the latest drivers are installed, this seems to have made the issue a little better but its is still loud compared to my old DL380 G6.

I have checked this against an identical DL380p that was bought at the same time, the other machine seems to have a lot slower fan speeds and its much quieter.

After some investigation we found that my machine is actually running cooler that the quieter one exept for one item shown in the ILO temperatures page. The temp of the "HD Max" is running at 50oc where the quieter one is 35oc.

Can anyone tell me what the "HD Max" is and if there is anything I can check for on the board.

Is the temperature normal or is there a protential problem with the machine.

Thanks

Stephen

5 REPLIES 5
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please be sure, that the iLo FW is up to date. Please take a look at the following advisory. It's not exactly the same issue, but it might help with the loud fan.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03451665 

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Stephen Barriball
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, the ilo was on 1.05, i've upgraded it to 1.10 and there is no change.

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen Barriball
Occasional Advisor

Think i've figured it out.

I'm using Crucial M4 SSDs in the server, these worked fine in the G6 but the Gen8 seems to default the 'HD Max' which I believe is the maximum hard disk temperature to 50oc as the SSDs don't return a temperature.

Obviously the SSDs are not running at 50oc and generate practically no heat, the server however thinks they are running hot so ups the fans.

Does anyone know of a way to either override the setting, or turn it off?

Cheers

Stephen

snmunene
Occasional Advisor

Did you upgrade the server or it was shipped with its original configuration?

Check if all fans are sitted properly on the processors.

If memory is not HP part,that could cause your internal fans to overclock.

If its rotates faster when the OS is loaded,then please check for viruses or your antivirus.

Some viruses do overwork the processor hence the need to cool it. Non Genuine Cooling fans do sometime fail to properly communicate with main board and could do there own way thus alot of noise.

sjurick

I just bought a new DL380p server.  The fans were running very quietly before I upgraded to the latest SPP.  Now they are humming at a pretty good pace all the time and very loud.  Nothing else has changed besides upgrading the SPP.