1753944 Members
8857 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

New Gen 8 Servers

gsb_2
Regular Advisor

New Gen 8 Servers

I love these statements from HP about System Administrators when promoting the new Gen 8 Servers:

"

After examining more than 100,000 server incidents that led to

downtime, system damage, and data loss, HP engineers found that

most problems happen when administrators physically interact with

servers.

In our client research, for example, we learned that several times a

week around the world, someone accidentally removes the wrong

drive during maintenance, causing data loss across an entire array.

Here’s another example: After analyzing motherboard failures, we

found that the most common cause of failure was improperly inserted

processors."

Here is the link

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/whatsnew/proliantgen8/index.aspx

I admit I am not perfect, but I don't need HP to tell me that I am responsible for most of my server problems.

I worked for HP for 25 years as a customer engineer, and now 6 years as an IT manager. I have installed many processors and disk drives  and don't remember screwing up that many computers.

While I am on a rant, I don't like the fact that HP doesn't want you to use memory or disk in the G8 from G7 or below. Everything has to be new. Memory is memory, disk are disk, don't make me buy unique components just for that generation of servers.

I was looking at the G8s but now I will probably just buy some G7 models.

Thanks

GB

4 REPLIES 4
Dave73
Regular Advisor

Re: New G8 Servers

Thats Gen8,  dont be swearing on the forums :)

There must be some really irresponsible engineers out in the field. In 10 years of working with HP kit i have not once destroyed a system due to physical interaction with the hardware components, it would cost me my job.

Im looking for information on the following and cant seem to find any, perhaps you have come across something ?

Documentation on the gen8's in respect to SIM and RDP.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Since some weeks there is some info going around (though not that much) under NDA... Partners should have access to it.

All the info around SIM and Insight Control will come out really soon, software is foreseen for the end of the month...

Can't say more for now either since the NDA... ;-)

But it is the normal things U can expect... SUM 5.0 and ILO4 integration in SIM7, newer versions for all plug-ins etc... No shocking news, do not expect entirely new console for instance... 

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dave

It will be SIM 7.0 currently in beta and will be available for download soon, currently under NDA so cannot share much info . Will be out soon

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html?jumpid=go/hpsim

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Dave73
Regular Advisor

Thanks, kudos all around.