ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752805 Members
5526 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New Part# for 373211-001 Drive Carrier?

New Part# for 373211-001 Drive Carrier?

I used to order extra hard drive carriers for the Proliant DL320 G4 from HP PartSurfer as part# 373211-001. Now it's coming up as part no longer available.

Is there a replacement part number for those drive carriers?

TIA.
7 REPLIES 7
e4services
Honored Contributor

UN...believable. Just checked the part number, and it is the one I order before, went to the HP Parts Store where I bought them, entered the part number.
No Dice. Part Not Orderable. (but like I said, it use to be). Guess they have gone back to the old ways of making you buy their packaged drives
Hot Swap Hard Drives
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the links-- I did see those, but was hoping to purchase from HP at a reasonable price (not randsom price). Yeah, no longer order-able, even though we bought a stack of them last year with that part# direct from HP ($18 each, minimum qty 5, free FedEx overnight shipping).

No longer.

We searched eBay with the part# and found someone with over 100 in stock at $25 each. Oh well, better than nothing, so we ordered from there.

Thanks to those who responded.
dmjoshi
Occasional Advisor

Where can I buy 373211-001 Drive Carrier in United Kingdom?
dmjoshi
Occasional Advisor

I am surprised that HP was selling this at $18.00. We had to buy them from http://discountechnology.com at $34.95 each; twelve of them,with shipping cost £49.27 and £49.33 in VAT and because Fedex paid that VAT it charged us £6.80 administrative fees.

We pai for 12 caddies total of £243.88 + £54.13 = £298.01. Almost $49.00 per piece.

Wonder if anyone in HP will read this and do amends.
Wes Davies

RamonZ

I registered just so I can reply on this thread.

I can order *millions* of different, out of warranty replacement part number from HP, without any restriction of any kind. Did that for the past 20 years.The only part number I'm aware of, that is subjugated to such a segregation, is part number 373211-001. I would be ready to bet the farm that any and all other similar hard drive tray are in the same situation.

When you log to HP part surfer, attempt a live chat with an HP representative, call HP part at 1-800-227-8164 or even at HP Car Pack support at 1-800-633-3600, the answer is always the same:

Sorry sir, part number 373211-001 is "unavailable" in Canada. No sir, it's not discontinued or in back order. No sir you can't order it on back order, even outside of the warranty. You have to contact a reseller to get that part. 

So, the part is active and current, it's not end of life or discontinued and I'm not trying to get it under warranty replacement. Still, I *CAN'T* order it from HP Canada. The justification that you must go through an authorized service center /  reseller is usually ONLY applicable for parts under warranty. Why this special treatment for part 373211-001?

We are not stupid. HP is squarely lying to us and insulting our intelligence in the process. The actual real reason is to prevent anyone from purchasing and installing this party hard drive in their server. For some reason, HP is delusional to the point of thinking it's so powerful, it can throw anything at us, that we should all kneel and bow the their dictatorship and accept it without saying a word.

The HP server I bought is *MY* server. Got that HP???? I'll do ANYTHING I want with it. Including installing Kingston memory and high quality, 24/7, 1.2 millions hours MTBF Western Digital RE4 RAID hard drive, for a third of the price HP ask for the very same thing. There are support and warranty consequences to do this that way, I'm fully aware of that. Still it is *MY* decision, not HP.

HP should at least have the decency to assume its strategic decision. Rep should tell us "We do this to prevent people from purchasing third party hard drive because we believe it would be detrimental to quality of the whole HP solution".

It's still bull**bleep**, it's still terribly inappropriate to force their view down to us, but at least HP would give me a straight answer without insulting me. In the mean time, HP alienate their business partner and customer base while we still can purchase that **bleep** part through alternative channel anyway, such as Amazon and E-bay. Brilliant strategy HP; fantastic way to shot yourself in the foot while accomplishing NOTHING but to piss off everyone.

NOTE: I've saved an MHT copy of this thread. Should HP be stupid enough to add more insult to the injure by trying to censor me and deleting his post, I'll be more than happy to launch a full retaliation on Twitter and Youtube. We'll see then how powerful HP is to control everything...

Deeply frustrated HP customer,

Ramon