1752805 Members
5881 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New RAID Controller

New RAID Controller

Hey guys

I got a new HP SmartArray P400.

I only have one hard drive; i got this controller as I wanted to benifit from the 512MB Cache.

I have configured this as "RAID 0" in the ROM options (by pressing F8 at boot i think).
Is this correct?
Cheers
10 REPLIES 10

by correct I mean have I set everyting up properly....
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, even if you have only one drive, you must create a RAID and a Logical unit. Without it the OS will not see anything. In your case, with only one disk, the only kind of RAID available is RAID 0.
By default ACU enables caching on the logical units created, so it should be enabled.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

As far as I can see, this is the only option you will be able to set. So, it is correct.

For more controller / RAID options you can use the Array Configuration Utility. However, with one hard drive, there is no other RAID possible. The real benefit of the P400 controller & the 512 MB cache will be when you actually have more hard drives for RAID 1, 5...

But for the current setup, these settings will do perfectly.

Am i actually using the 512 BBWC? I went into the config in windows and enabled "Drive Write Cache" - i DO have a UPS installed btw.

cheers
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

I think you have enabled the write cache through the properties of the hard disk in the Device Manager. This will enable only the write caching of the disk, and will not involve the controller or BBWC.

The Array Configuration Utility can be used to set the read/write ratio for the controller. These options are not available through F8 (Option ROM Configuration of Arrays). If ACU is not installed already, you can download it from:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/27533.html

actually i have enabled "Drive Write Cache" through HP's config program - do this involve the BBWC? cheers

ps. I have the read/write ration set to 50/50 - is this good?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Jonathan

as adric says the real benefit from using smart array controller is when you have several HDDs

but what I can see here for you configuration you want to get all the performance available:

RAID 0 the fastest one but not there is not tolerance so if that HDD dies everything is going to die...

apart from RAID 0 you're enabling DWC you get even more speed...

so yes you configured your RAID 0 fine, you enable DWC OK and yes the ratio 50/50 is OK

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!

cheers guys!

I was wondering if someone could tell me the part number of the 160GB Hard Drive I would need to make a RAID Array? there ar esoo many different part numbers for hard drives for the ML310 G4...
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

The part number for the 160 GB SATA hard drive is: 349238-B21.

Generally, this information is available in the Quickspecs for the server.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12570_div/12570_div.html