ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748265 Members
4022 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New Server for vSphere free version spec ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
raymoreton
Occasional Contributor

New Server for vSphere free version spec ?

Dear Support,

I wonder if you can help with some info, I am looking to purchase a nice new ml350p gen 8 for use with the free version of vsphere, I tried to talk to the tech guys at hp but they said I had to talk to the supplier, they were very helpful and said it would work fine but I just want to ask some technical peeps before I ask the customer to spend a couple of grand.

A little info for you, they are only running an old nt4 server on it and only have about 15 users so not vast at all.

What I am looking at is this:

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/646676421-hp-proliant-ml350p-gen8-base--server--tower--5u--2way--1-x-xeon-e52620--2-ghz--ram-8-gb--sas--hotswap-25--no-hdd--dvd--matrox-g200--gigabit-lan--monitor--none.p784469.html

And 4 of these in a RAID10:

http://www.ballicom.co.uk/652605b21-hp-enterprise--hard-drive--146-gb--hotswap--25-sff--sas2--15000-rpm--with-hp-smartdrive-carrier.p785780.html

And I was going to boot using USB stick.

All I need to know is tht I can either use the HP custom image for the free version of vsphere or a fresh install of vsphere from vmware will work fine on the hardware ??

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I can confirm that this will work... Installed 2 days ago a ML350p Gen8 server with ESXi 5.1 free version downloaded from the VMware website.

Just one thing to think about: use the HP custom image... So you are sure that you have all the latest drivers and mgmt providers build in...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
raymoreton
Occasional Contributor

Fantastic thanks very much, Ido you happen to know if the custom image supports the free version of vSphere ?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes the custom image is also a free version that only needs to be registered to be used for free after the standard 60 days...

kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
raymoreton
Occasional Contributor

That's great I think I will get cracking with this then, really appreciate your help. :O)

Have a gd wkend.

TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Ray, You forgot to provide Kudos to Bart. Just click on white start.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

raymoreton
Occasional Contributor

Sorry first post here, did I do that right ??