1753547 Members
5515 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New Server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

New Server

I purchased a used 3000 and I'm looking for the easiest way to make it my primary Webserver replacing the 3000 that currently has this responsibility.

I assume that I can remove the hard drives, Raid controller, NIC card and place all these components into the replacement machine. Then, put it back on the network, turn it on, and immediately be back in operation.

Can you see a flaw in this approach and if so is there a more reliable way to accomplish this operation. It is essential that the server maintian its original name (Webnet). This all assumes the used machine is working properly. If not, then I'll put the components back in the original machine and put it back on the network.

Current Server-Win2K
Function-WebServer, Proxyserver, SQLserver, Exchangeserver
Name-Webnet
One-PII 333 (66MHz bus)
221 Raid Controller
5-hotpluggable 9.1 Raid 5 (one online spare)
Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI
No Internal Hard Drive
CD-Rom Compaq CDU 701-Q

When this operation is complete I want to have..

Replacement Server (USED) Win2K
Proliant 3000 Purchased used with one yr of warranty
2 - PIII-450 (100MHz bus) (this is a major concern)
Function-WebServer, Proxyserver, SQLserver, Exchangeserver
Name-Webnet
221 Raid Controller
5-hotpluggable 9.1 Raid 5 (one online spare)
Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI
No Internal Hard Drive
CD-Rom Compaq CDU 701-Q

Thanks for your help. Johnny
1 REPLY 1
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: New Server

Hi Johnny
this is possible and should work fine however i strongly recommend that you flash the new systems rom up to the latest before proceeding ..if you put the new drives in and it comes up with some sort of innaccessible boot device make sure to check in your f10 for the boot order...while the f10 will be on the drives you carry over the settings in there are written to the cmos of the server which no doubt will have a different setting before you bring the drives over..it may not be an issue if your primary boot controller is actually by default the first one
We are here for a good time, not a long time!